Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: There's no harm in wine; it's drunkenness that is at fault - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

Travelling to Russia by a vehicle
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Accomodation, trains, planes and automobilesMessage format

BigF
Posted 2016-08-13 9:23 PM (#84900)
Subject: Travelling to Russia by a vehicle
New User

I plan to travel by motorcycle from the UK and cross into Russia from Latvia. I have read a few posts on tripadvisor and other sites that all I need is a standard tourist visa (an auto tourism visa is not strictly required - so they say). My invitation for visa is a private spouse invitation applied for by my wife and issued by the immigration department in Krasnodar. I have already submitted that along with the application and have had the finger printing done.

Besides my passport, driving licence, International driving permit, vehicle registration documents, and ofcourse emergency warning triangle and fire extinguisher, what else do I need? Can I travel without the vehicle appearing on my visa in the passport as some people say or do I NEED to have an auto tourist visa for definite? A private visa has noprovision for travelling by a vehicle on the visa application form.

I plan to get insurance at the border as it is the only place to do so it seems.

This will be my 9th trip to Russia but first with a vehicle. My wife is Russian and I have two children children both of whom were born in Krasnodar but have UK passports also and are currently in Russia.

Cheers
Mel
Posted 2016-08-14 6:23 PM (#84952 - in reply to #84900)
Subject: RE: Travelling to Russia by a vehicle

Expert

Hi, Krasnodar is a beautiful place, was there a few weeks ago.. 

This is from another site, and you may find it helpful...

For legal geeks, this is facilitated under the Vienna Convention, replacing part of the Geneva Convention. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

In Russia, this is only for visitors with any type of Visa or Work Permit (when required, depending on your citizenship)

You may have in RUS only one vehicle at a time, for the shorter of 12 months or your visa’s validity..

No later than the final day, you MUST take the vehicle out of RUS and get the Temporary Import ‘signed off’ their computer.

Entering RUS procedure
It is fully accepted, even encouraged, for motos to ride to the front of queues J.

1.Control kiosk and barrier. This is after the previous country’s border controls and having moved forward into RUS. This is to control and hold back vehicles so the border officials are not overwhelmed by numbers. After a superficial check that you and any passengers have a Passport/Visa, they give you blank Immigration Cards and raise the barrier to allow small batches forward.
2.Border (Immigration) Control. Exactly as at airports, at the window you each present your Passport/visa etc and completed Immigration Cards. After checking Visas/TRPs with the computer, they stamp and return your Passport and one half of the Immigration Card. You move forward a few metres to the next step.
3.Customs Control and barrier. You complete 2 copies of a Customs Declaration form which is available in English and other languages. The main interest is the vehicle section. You produce your Passport/Visa and the vehicle Registration Document (and, if not in your own name, a letter from the Owner/Registered Keeper giving permission for you to be using the vehicle in Russia). They check your passport with their computer to ensure you do not already have a foreign registered vehicle in RUS. They inspect the vehicle VIN number and luggage. Once they are happy, they place a printed sticker and rubber stamp on one copy of Customs Declaration, which you must keep and surrender when you finally exit the vehicle. This sticker has a 3 month validity or less if your Visa expires sooner. They raise the barrier and you move forward to the final step.
4.Control kiosk and barrier. They may ask to see your Passport and that you have a validated Customs Declaration.

In Russia, road Insurance is compulsory. If you do not have this from your ‘home’ insurer, you can buy it for short or long periods, around the border area in all the garages, shops and at kiosks. I understand it is permitted to drive/ride to the next town on your journey to buy insurance. It is not expensive, based solely on vehicle power and time required, but is only the equivalent of UK’s Third Party insurance (damage you do to others and their property).

Exiting RUS procedure.
1.Control kiosk and barrier. As above – a cursory check you have documents to leave Russia and to control the ‘flow’ at the actual border controls. Small batches move forward to the next step.
2.Customs Control. You hand in the Customs Declaration form. They inspect your passport, vehicle registration document, vehicle VIN and luggage; then check the form with their computer. When they are satisfied, you move forward to the next step.
3.Border (immigration) Control . Again, as at airports. At the window they take your Immigration Card, inspect Passport and Visas and check with the computer. Your Passport is stamped and returned and you move to the next step.
4.Control kiosk and barrier. They check your Passport stamp and raise the barrier to enable you to go forward to the next country’s border controls – often several hundred metres away.

HTH, pls let us know how it goes... 

Edited by Mel 2016-08-14 6:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)