Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The democratic choice Russian people made in the early 90's is final - Vladimir Putin
- (Added by: Administrator)

uk visitor visa for my russian girlfriend
Moderators: nickomsk, Chris, TonyH, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Visas -> UK visasMessage format

roger71
Posted 2010-03-04 8:21 PM (#31760)
Subject: uk visitor visa for my russian girlfriend
Regular

my girlfriend lives in russia and is planning to visit me in the UK in july this year, she has been several times before on a tourist visa, now i am trying to convince her that she needs to apply for a visitor visa in order to come in summer as it will help with our application for marriage visa next year after we marry in russia. the problem is that she is utterly convinced that she has absolutely no chance of getting a UK visitor visa...a few more details, i am 24 and she is 20 and speaks fluent english, she is at university in moscow until 2011 and that is when we plan to get married.(we have absolutely no intention of getting married this summer in UK, we will do that next year)

is it really so unlikely that she would be granted a visitor visa? would love to hear some stories similar to this and whether a visitor visa was granted...

Edited by roger71 2010-03-04 8:23 PM
GaryM
Posted 2010-03-04 11:50 PM (#31762 - in reply to #31760)
Subject: RE: uk visitor visa for my russian girlfriend
Expert

A tourist visa is very different from a visitor visa because on a tourist visa she came as part of an organised group which would have been with an established tour operator. With a visitor visa she will be coming to the UK independantly with you sponsoring her, and both you and she will need to provide a whole load of documentation to support her visa application.

The two things that stand out like a sore thumb here are her very young age (20) and the fact that she is still at university. This will be scrutinised very closely by the ECO who will decide whether or not to grant her a visa.

If you've read the numerous past posts on here you will already have gathered that to be granted a visitor she will need to prove that she has good enough reason to return to Russia after her visit to the UK. With her being at university I assume she has no job or regular income? It's probably also a good assumption to make that she probably doesn't own her own flat and doesn't have much in the way of savings in a bank account (?) Any children that she would leave behind if she visited the UK? If she has none of these then my view (and past experience on this forum) is that her chances of being granted a visitor visa are quite slim I'm afraid, even though she does have some history of UK tourist visas in her passport.

I'm sure others will come along later to give their own views and maybe offer you something a bit more positive than I've just written.
TonyH
Posted 2010-03-05 6:53 AM (#31766 - in reply to #31760)
Subject: Re: uk visitor visa for my russian girlfriend

Expert

I would agree with Gary and assume the same with regards to her personal circumstance based on her age and that she is at university
muffy
Posted 2010-03-05 7:50 AM (#31767 - in reply to #31760)
Extreme Veteran

Probably the same as above and in my case even though my gf is in regular work, I was still advised to add money to her account, I just hope its enough for it to be a successful application.
Rasboinik
Posted 2010-03-05 8:16 AM (#31770 - in reply to #31766)

Expert

TonyH - 2010-03-05 4:53 PM

I would agree with Gary and assume the same with regards to her personal circumstance based on her age and that she is at university

I must agree with both Gary and Tony regarding he chances of her getting a visitor visa based upon the assumed circumstances.
roger71
Posted 2010-03-05 5:37 PM (#31772 - in reply to #31760)
Subject: RE: uk visitor visa for my russian girlfriend
Regular

thanks for the replies even though they dont make particularly good reading!!

she does work part time but its petty cash for buying drinks and clothes, nothing more substantial, no children, and she does live with her parents at the moment, maybe its better for us to keep on using the tourist visa and then apply for the marriage visa next year, having said that, i guess it would be frowned upon by the border agency when by dealing with our request for a marriage visa they will no doubt stumble across the fact that she has been here several times to see me and consequently note that we have not been truthful with them from the beginning,

thanks again for the responses, any further comments and some positive stories would be gladly welcomed
TonyH
Posted 2010-03-06 8:49 AM (#31786 - in reply to #31760)

Expert

Think you answered yourself with regards to any other comment we can make. The truth is very important when dealing with them and getting away for another year using the route your using is going to be difficult and if caught the result is likely to cause you a major problem

good luck
TonyH
Posted 2010-03-06 8:50 AM (#31787 - in reply to #31760)

Expert

Think you answered yourself with regards to any other comment we can make. The truth is very important when dealing with them and getting away for another year using the route your using is going to be difficult and if caught the result is likely to cause you a major problem

good luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)