Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: The relationship between a Russian and a bottle of vodka is almost mystical - Richard Owen
- (Added by: Administrator)

Nalchik
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Practicalities and adviceMessage format

dswass
Posted 2017-03-14 8:54 AM (#89922)
Subject: Nalchik

Hi guys,

I have a friend who lives in Nalchick (N. Caucasus) and they have invited me to come and stay for a holiday. Have checked the foreign office website and they advise against all but essential travel there.I am aware it's a volatile region.

Has anybody been there and did you feel safe?

Should I just forget the whole thing and decline the offer on safety grounds?

Any feedback would be invaluable.
Mel
Posted 2017-03-14 9:12 AM (#89923 - in reply to #89922)
Subject: RE: Nalchik

Expert

dswass - 2017-03-14 1:54 PM Hi guys, I have a friend who lives in Nalchick (N. Caucasus) and they have invited me to come and stay for a holiday. Have checked the foreign office website and they advise against all but essential travel there.I am aware it's a volatile region. Has anybody been there and did you feel safe? Should I just forget the whole thing and decline the offer on safety grounds? Any feedback would be invaluable.

Was there last year, had absolutely no problems, its a lovely (old sovietski) place with many new buildings added to the mix...

Would always recommend a visit to somewhere like this, lovely area, mountains, views...

But as is always the case, one should respect the locals, keep the nose clean, not cause any antagonism, basically the same rule as visiting anywhere else in the world...

Did I feel safe, 100% so, and the locals hospitality is on a very high level... 

Will I go again, well, hopefully, I will visit there again late June this year...

HTH.. 

dswass
Posted 2017-03-14 10:41 AM (#89924 - in reply to #89923)

Hi Mel,
That's great that you have been there recently. May I ask though.....were you not a little bit apprehensive about visiting due to the so called 'extremists' that one might encounter? Also is it not a bit foolish to ignore the advice of the foreign office? Sorry I may sound a bit over cautious but I am a pastey Englishman with blonde hair, I'm concerned I'll stick out like a sore thumb to any 'wronguns'
Mel
Posted 2017-03-14 2:30 PM (#89925 - in reply to #89924)

Expert

dswass - 2017-03-14 3:41 PM Hi Mel, That's great that you have been there recently. May I ask though.....were you not a little bit apprehensive about visiting due to the so called 'extremists' that one might encounter? Also is it not a bit foolish to ignore the advice of the foreign office? Sorry I may sound a bit over cautious but I am a pastey Englishman with blonde hair, I'm concerned I'll stick out like a sore thumb to any 'wronguns'

Highlighted the operative words...

Btw, what exactly does an "Extremist" look like ??.

The FO does not know its arse from its elbow, they try to justify the large cost that they incur to the country in any way that they can, and call it a "Service" IMHO...

Englishmen "stick out like a sore thumb" worldwide IMHO..

Obviously, the final decision is yours...

HTH 

dswass
Posted 2017-03-16 10:15 AM (#89986 - in reply to #89925)

thanks Mel for the help and you've definitely given me something to think about. Totally agree with you about the FO and will bear it in mind when making a decision. Btw 'extremists' are masters of disguise these days
Thanks again
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)