Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

Migration cards/leaving Russia
Moderators: nickomsk, TonyH, Chris, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Visas -> Russian visasMessage format

PaulUK
Posted 2017-07-31 12:55 AM (#91307)
Subject: Migration cards/leaving Russia
New User

Hi

This might sound a bit strange, and hopefully I'll get a straightforward and obviously positive answer!

I flew out of St Petersburg on Tuesday morning - I was exhausted and on medication due to being ill for a few days, and a bit non compos mentis. I handed in my passport and ticket at the passport control, and I presume also my migration card, and my passport was duly stamped, and I went on my weary way.

I go back there next week as I have a valid visa til next year. Exit stamp sitting next to pristine visa.

Now, as I am a very paranoid worrier, I am hoping my migration card WAS in my passport and WAS collected in.

So - quick question: If the card WASN'T in my passport, I WOULDN'T have been allowed to leave unless I was fined or something, yes? Or, if the card wasn't there but the guard didn't care, the fact it wasn't collected won't affect my return next week?

Like I say, I have an exit stamp, and a valid visa. Nothing else has been entered into my passport.

Sorry, just call me someone always expecting trouble when it comes to Russian bureaucracy (even though I have yet to encounter any in six years!).

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Rasboinik
Posted 2017-07-31 7:03 AM (#91308 - in reply to #91307)
Subject: RE: Migration cards/leaving Russia

Expert

PaulUK - 2017-07-31 10:55 AM Hi This might sound a bit strange, and hopefully I'll get a straightforward and obviously positive answer! I flew out of St Petersburg on Tuesday morning - I was exhausted and on medication due to being ill for a few days, and a bit non compos mentis. I handed in my passport and ticket at the passport control, and I presume also my migration card, and my passport was duly stamped, and I went on my weary way. I go back there next week as I have a valid visa til next year. Exit stamp sitting next to pristine visa. Now, as I am a very paranoid worrier, I am hoping my migration card WAS in my passport and WAS collected in. So - quick question: If the card WASN'T in my passport, I WOULDN'T have been allowed to leave unless I was fined or something, yes? Or, if the card wasn't there but the guard didn't care, the fact it wasn't collected won't affect my return next week? Like I say, I have an exit stamp, and a valid visa. Nothing else has been entered into my passport. Sorry, just call me someone always expecting trouble when it comes to Russian bureaucracy (even though I have yet to encounter any in six years!). Thanks in advance, Paul

Hi.

Every time that you depart from Russia if the migration card is in your passport the migration card is removed by the Russian Passport Control officer, if you can go through the Passport Control area without any problems then it is ensured that your migration was in your passport and that it was removed by the Russian Passport Control officer.

If you do not have your migration card in your passport when you try to leave Russia you will have a problem.

Hope This Helps
PaulUK
Posted 2017-07-31 9:43 AM (#91309 - in reply to #91308)
New User

Thanks very much - this is entirely what I suspected, namely, if there were problems, I'd have known about it there and then!
GaryM
Posted 2017-08-26 11:36 AM (#91447 - in reply to #91307)
Expert

Again, like the visa application form, this is just more BS invented by the Russian authorities.

I could understand a "landing card" that only needs to be filled in / submitted when entering Russia but I never understood the need to have to hand some scrappy slip of paper to them on the way back out that has just been printed on a piece of toilet paper with a printer which is permanently low on ink.

They have all your passport details so when you leave, this is all they should need to "de-register" you and know you have left...like virtually every other country in the modern world. Why they need a scrappy piece of paper to be handed back to them as well is anyone's guess. It's all just so stone age. It's not like you could have got into the country without presenting your passport first, and if you did by some means, then you certainly wouldn't be exiting the country again through the proper channels.

This is yet just another BS process to wind up visitors, especially UK citizens.

Has anyone ever lost the piece of toilet paper and had any issues actually getting back out of the country because of it? There have been various past rumours but I'm not sure if I've ever heard of anyone not having that piece of paper on the way back out and then either being fined or prevented from leaving Russia because of it. Anyone know of any verified examples?
simon
Posted 2017-08-30 4:46 AM (#91477 - in reply to #91447)
Extreme Veteran

Sadly I once lost my card. I was forced to go to the UFMS head office in St Pete's to get a new one issued. Although a few years back now, I do remember parting with a few rubles and lecture about the importance of it. Although I obviously have to accept responsibility for it, It was a lot of agro for something so small. They did their utmost to make me feel like I was some kind of criminal. My local UFMS couldn't or wouldn't issue it. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. It took ages. Hours not days, but you spend ages queueing in wrong queues to be pointed to other queue lines when you reach the front. Everyone tells you its in other sections. I guess its all about p*ssing you off, so you don't do it again?
Mel
Posted 2017-09-01 12:48 PM (#91498 - in reply to #91477)

Expert

simon - 2017-08-30 9:46 AM Sadly I once lost my card. I was forced to go to the UFMS head office in St Pete's to get a new one issued. Although a few years back now, I do remember parting with a few rubles and lecture about the importance of it. Although I obviously have to accept responsibility for it, It was a lot of agro for something so small. They did their utmost to make me feel like I was some kind of criminal. My local UFMS couldn't or wouldn't issue it. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. It took ages. Hours not days, but you spend ages queueing in wrong queues to be pointed to other queue lines when you reach the front. Everyone tells you its in other sections. I guess its all about p*ssing you off, so you don't do it again?

Seconded....  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)