Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: I'm glad I'm not Brezhnev. Being the Russian leader in the Kremlin. You never know if someone's tape recording what you say - Richard M. Nixon
- (Added by: Administrator)

Travelling from London to Izhevsk
Moderators: Chris, TonyH, nickomsk, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Moscow, St Petersburg and other Russian citiesMessage format

TazLondon
Posted 2017-08-11 4:36 PM (#91327)
Subject: Travelling from London to Izhevsk
New User

Hi everyone! I need to get to Izhevsk later this year from London. I've only ever travelled from London to St Petersburg or Moscow before so never had to take a connecting flight or train to another city in Russia.

As I'm not fluent in Russian and not a frequent traveller there, I was wondering what the best routing/travel method is to get from London (Heathrow Airport) to Izhevsk in Russia.

So far I have found a flight from London to Moscow and then an internal flight from Moscow to Izhevsk. I understand that Izhevsk has a tiny airport and does not have an ILS (instrument landing system) so am a bit nervous about the internal flight!

Is there a better way to get to Izhevsk for tourists who are not too familiar with the Russian language?
Mel
Posted 2017-08-12 8:35 AM (#91329 - in reply to #91327)
Subject: RE: Travelling from London to Izhevsk

Expert

TazLondon - 2017-08-11 9:36 PM Hi everyone! I need to get to Izhevsk later this year from London. I've only ever travelled from London to St Petersburg or Moscow before so never had to take a connecting flight or train to another city in Russia. As I'm not fluent in Russian and not a frequent traveller there, I was wondering what the best routing/travel method is to get from London (Heathrow Airport) to Izhevsk in Russia. So far I have found a flight from London to Moscow and then an internal flight from Moscow to Izhevsk. I understand that Izhevsk has a tiny airport and does not have an ILS (instrument landing system) so am a bit nervous about the internal flight! Is there a better way to get to Izhevsk for tourists who are not too familiar with the Russian language?

Hi, easiest way is to book with Aeroflot London-mos-Izhevsk return...

Izhevsk does have ILS, the airport also services international flights..

Never had any probs with Aeroflot either international nor internal routes in some 20 something years of flying with them...

HTH 

Choo Choo
Posted 2017-08-18 11:03 PM (#91345 - in reply to #91327)
Subject: RE: Travelling from London to Izhevsk
Veteran

Hi Taz, my wife Nadya is from Izhevsk, so i've been there many times. I usually fly Heathrow or Gatwick to Moscow Domodedovo then fly internally from Domodedovo to Izhevsk with Izhavia the local Izhevsk airline. The flight is around 2 hours. Their aircraft are a bit old, some Yak 42's and the like. (Unless they have updated their fleet in the last couple of years.) So you may be better off flying Aeroflot if you're concerned. The alternative is an 18 hour train ride from Moscow to Izhevsk. This obviously involves a night in a compartment with 3 total strangers, who almost certainly won't speak any English and who may or may not have consumed a large amount of vodka! I know which option i prefer!! The airport at Izhevsk is small and basic and about a 25 minute car ride from the city centre. Izhevsk is an industrial city, the armoury of Russia, producing arms for hundreds of years. Kalashnikov being the most famous by far. Izmash motorcycles and Kia cars are among the other industries based there. Izhevsk is Real Russia, Moscow or Peterburg it is not! That said it has a fantastic array of very good cafe's and bars, restaurants etc. and they are much, much, cheaper than Moscow and St. Petersburg. The people are really friendly too. Hope this helps, Paul.
TazLondon
Posted 2017-08-23 3:19 PM (#91356 - in reply to #91327)
Subject: Re: Travelling from London to Izhevsk
New User

Thanks all. I wasn't aware I could book Aeroflot from LHR via Moscow to Izhevsk. I presume if I made that booking then the connection will be simpler at Moscow? I'd prefer not to travel by train as I won't have a lot of time for the visit so am not too keen on spending many hours on a train. I'll probably only have 3-4 days for the entire visit and that includes travel.

Izhevsk sounds like a fascinating place to visit in Russia!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)