Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: That's metaphysics, my dear fellow. It's forbidden me by my doctor, my stomach won't take it - Boris Pasternak
- (Added by: Administrator)

Rossiya Airlines now offering direct flights between LED and LGW again
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Accomodation, trains, planes and automobilesMessage format

GaryM
Posted 2018-04-07 5:47 PM (#92982)
Subject: Rossiya Airlines now offering direct flights between LED and LGW again
Expert

I only just became aware of this so thought I would post it up in case it's of interest to others.

Pulkovo Airlines (subsequently bought out by Rossiya Airlines who later merged with Aeroflot) used to offer affordable direct flights between Saint Petersburg (LED) and London Gatwick (LGW) but this route was axed quite a number of years ago leaving BA as the only direct flight airline between London and SPb with no competition to get in their way.

Well, the good news is that the competition has returned and Rossiya reinstated that direct route again 2 weeks ago. An initial look at prices for August 2018 seem to indicate about a 60-70 GBP saving over BA when 1 piece of checked in baggage is also included.

The press release is here: http://ir.aeroflot.com/ru/news-detail/article/56811
CDG
Posted 2018-04-08 9:09 PM (#92983 - in reply to #92982)
Subject: Re: Rossiya Airlines now offering direct flights between LED and LGW again
Expert

Excellent news, thanks Gary!
GaryM
Posted 2018-04-08 9:56 PM (#92984 - in reply to #92983)
Subject: Re: Rossiya Airlines now offering direct flights between LED and LGW again
Expert

CDG - 2018-04-08 9:09 PM

Excellent news, thanks Gary!

We only found out because the MIL who came over last week noticed there was another flight by a Russian airline just before hers going direct to London that she nearly confused with own flight (hers was a direct BA flight), so I did a bit of digging and up popped that press release.

Looks like they're already on the flight booking aggregator websites as well so anyone looking for flights between SPb and London will now see Rossiya / Aeroflot as a direct flight option in addition to British Airways
CDG
Posted 2018-04-09 8:12 PM (#93037 - in reply to #92982)
Expert

I don't like changing flights, it's much cheaper but after trying Austrian Airlines and almost missing a connecting flight before being delayed for from what I remember around 3 hours on the way back, we only fly with BA to St Petersburg now.

The latest flights in June are amongst the most expensive we've bought to Piter, over 400 each but there is a World Cup going on. Can't wait to start using Rossiya again plus it's around 40 minutes closer to Gatwick than Heathrow.

English footy shirt with Kokorin on the back or Russian top with Kane on the back, that is the question! To be fair I'll probably be getting hammered on Vodka with the father in law which would make even the likes of Egypt v Saudia Arabia amazing viewing.

Edited by CDG 2018-04-09 8:17 PM
GaryM
Posted 2018-04-10 5:35 PM (#93050 - in reply to #93037)
Expert

I know what you mean about indirect flights. We once transferred through Dusseldorf with only a 45 minute transfer window. We just about made the connecting flight but when we got back to Heathrow we discovered that our baggage hadn't made the connection! That was a lesson learned. I wouldn't want to take another connecting flight again with less than a 1.5 hour transfer window.

On the other end of the scale, my wife and daughter once took a Finnair flight to SPb that transferred through Helsinki. They had to hang around in Helsinki airport for 5 hours before departing on the second leg of their journey to SPb (which was on a prop driven plane!). The waiting around was longer than the flight time of both flights put together!

Connecting flights are a PITA. I'd rather pay a bit more (within reason) and get direct flights wherever possible.

Gatwick is about another 40 minute drive for us than Heathrow but at least it does now give us another option

Edited by GaryM 2018-04-10 5:37 PM
simon
Posted 2018-04-13 5:17 PM (#93084 - in reply to #93050)
Extreme Veteran

Excellent news. I always found them really good and quite reasonable. The only direct flight to Spb. was BA, but their costs fluctuate quite a bit depending on season.
newrules
Posted 2018-04-18 9:02 PM (#93165 - in reply to #93084)
Regular

It's a shame they don't fly to Moscow. You can get a very cheap flight from Moscow to the UK via Brussels (plenty of time for connecting) with Brussels Airlines. However, its much more expensive when returning and for some strange reason they only give you 45 minutes to change flights and with a high risk ot your luggage not being transferred. Sadly, getting a cheap direct flight is impossible now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)