Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: A deception that elevates us is dearer than a host of low truths - Marina Tsvetaeva
- (Added by: Administrator)

British Citizenship (Naturalisation) Application Advice
Moderators: nickomsk, TonyH, Chris, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Russian Relationships -> Visas and citizenshipMessage format

GaryM
Posted 2010-09-29 9:50 PM (#38376)
Subject: British Citizenship (Naturalisation) Application Advice
Expert

My wife is finally on the last hurdle of applying for Naturalisation We've been filling the application form in this evening and have a couple of questions for which the answers aren't particularly clear from the guidance notes:-

1) On page 5, point 1.17, it asks to provide addresses for the lat 5 years. Are we correct in assuming that this is not just for addresses in th UK but those outside the UK as well (i.e. while she was still living in Russia before she came to the UK after we got married)?

2) On page 16, section 6, one of the supporting documents required is our Marriage Certificate. This is currently in Russian and appostled (by the Russian authorities) although my wife did do a translation a few years ago into English but this obviously isn't certified in any way. The question is, do we need to provide an English translation of our Marriage Certificate and if so, does this need to be done by a certified translator, and does that translation then need to be legalised (appostilled) by the FCO in Milton Keynes?

Can anyone who has already been through this process possibly clear up these questions.

Thanks.
TonyH
Posted 2010-09-29 10:42 PM (#38378 - in reply to #38376)
Subject: RE: British Citizenship (Naturalisation) Application Advice

Expert

GaryM - 2010-09-29 9:50 PM

My wife is finally on the last hurdle of applying for Naturalisation We've been filling the application form in this evening and have a couple of questions for which the answers aren't particularly clear from the guidance notes:-

1) On page 5, point 1.17, it asks to provide addresses for the lat 5 years. Are we correct in assuming that this is not just for addresses in th UK but those outside the UK as well (i.e. while she was still living in Russia before she came to the UK after we got married)?

2) On page 16, section 6, one of the supporting documents required is our Marriage Certificate. This is currently in Russian and appostled (by the Russian authorities) although my wife did do a translation a few years ago into English but this obviously isn't certified in any way. The question is, do we need to provide an English translation of our Marriage Certificate and if so, does this need to be done by a certified translator, and does that translation then need to be legalised (appostilled) by the FCO in Milton Keynes?

Can anyone who has already been through this process possibly clear up these questions.

Thanks.

Gary I can only answer the first question as we where married in the UK and only on the basis of the info we supplied....we supplied all addresses in the past five years including those in Russia.

I would also think the answer to the second question in its three parts is yes, yes and see yelena's site http://www.talkrussian.com/certified.htm .....of course you know I could be wrong
Mel
Posted 2010-09-30 5:43 AM (#38379 - in reply to #38378)

Expert

TonyH - 2010-09-30 3:42 AM
GaryM - 2010-09-29 9:50 PM My wife is finally on the last hurdle of applying for Naturalisation :> We've been filling the application form in this evening and have a couple of questions for which the answers aren't particularly clear from the guidance notes:- 1) On page 5, point 1.17, it asks to provide addresses for the lat 5 years. Are we correct in assuming that this is not just for addresses in th UK but those outside the UK as well (i.e. while she was still living in Russia before she came to the UK after we got married)? 2) On page 16, section 6, one of the supporting documents required is our Marriage Certificate. This is currently in Russian and appostled (by the Russian authorities) although my wife did do a translation a few years ago into English but this obviously isn't certified in any way. The question is, do we need to provide an English translation of our Marriage Certificate and if so, does this need to be done by a certified translator, and does that translation then need to be legalised (appostilled) by the FCO in Milton Keynes? Can anyone who has already been through this process possibly clear up these questions. Thanks.
Gary I can only answer the first question as we where married in the UK and only on the basis of the info we supplied....we supplied all addresses in the past five years including those in Russia. I would also think the answer to the second question in its three parts is yes, yes and see yelena's site http://www.talkrussian.com/certified.htm .....of course you know I could be wrong

You are not normally wrong Tony, and I agree with you...

We put all adresses over the past 5 years, inc Russian one.....

Regarding the second part, my step daughter is also in the process now of doing citizenship, and although not married, all her russian docs have to be translated in to english, by this, the most important one being her birth cert....

So would also suggest that this would apply to a marriage cert...

HTH...

Yelena
Posted 2010-09-30 10:43 AM (#38385 - in reply to #38376)
Regular

Hi Gary,

Yes, certified translation is normally sufficient, no other legalisation is required. If you need it doing, please email me a scanned copy as soon as you can, as I am going away this Friday afternoon for a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Yelena

Edited by Yelena 2010-09-30 10:45 AM
Chris
Posted 2010-09-30 10:59 AM (#38386 - in reply to #38376)
Subject: Re: British Citizenship (Naturalisation) Application Advice

Expert

The documents must be legalised (apostile) for documents such as birth and marriage certificates and then each document translated and certified, you can not do this yourself - there is no need to notorise the translations.

Hope this helps.

Chris
GaryM
Posted 2010-09-30 11:04 AM (#38387 - in reply to #38386)
Expert

Thanks.

Thankfully we had our marriage certificate apostilled by the Russian authorities but we've never had it professionally translated (up until now a non-certified translation by my wife has been accepted where we've needed to use it). I will contact Yelena now and get her to do us a proper certified translation for the citizenship application.

Edited by GaryM 2010-09-30 11:04 AM
GaryM
Posted 2010-09-30 10:34 PM (#38396 - in reply to #38387)
Expert

Many thanks to Yelena who provided a very speedy turnaround today. A certified translation of our marriage certificate has been done and is already in the post to us. Now that's what you call first class service
TonyH
Posted 2010-10-01 9:47 AM (#38410 - in reply to #38376)

Expert

everytime !!!
Yelena
Posted 2010-10-29 7:35 AM (#38993 - in reply to #38396)
Regular

GaryM - 2010-09-30 10:34 PM

Many thanks to Yelena who provided a very speedy turnaround today. A certified translation of our marriage certificate has been done and is already in the post to us. Now that's what you call first class service

Thank you, Gary, always ready to help!
Gary&Ira
Posted 2011-11-10 3:29 PM (#47842 - in reply to #38376)
Veteran

How long have you got to do the ceremony for this after ILR? My wife said 90 days from ILR date.
GaryM
Posted 2011-11-10 4:57 PM (#47846 - in reply to #47842)
Expert

You're confusing something somewhere. The ceremony is only for citizenship and has nothing to do with ILR.

Your wife is eligible to apply for citizenship once she has an ILR visa and has been resident in the UK for 3 years (or slightly earlier in some cases).

It's not a requirement to apply for citizenship and she could live in the UK forever on her ILR visa if she wanted to but if she did, she would still be classed as a Russian citizen under immigration rules. As such, she would also be subject to immigration rules anywhere else in the world that apply to Russian citizens.

Edited by GaryM 2011-11-10 4:59 PM
Gary&Ira
Posted 2011-11-11 8:25 PM (#47882 - in reply to #38376)
Veteran

Thanks Gary I understand now. She showed me what she had read and its quite clear there. Thanks again.
jasperh
Posted 2013-03-06 12:33 PM (#56441 - in reply to #38376)

Hi!

We are currently filling in the application for my wife's citizenship.
Regarding the supporting documents, we need just both our passports, our marriage certificate and translations and life in UK test. is that correct?

Malcolm
Posted 2013-03-08 10:41 AM (#56471 - in reply to #38376)

Expert

bump
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)