Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: ‘When I was young I used to think that money was the most important thing in life. Now that I am old, I know it is.’ Oscar Wilde
- (Added by: Chris)

Russian Driving Licence -> UK Driving Licence
Moderators: nickomsk, TonyH, Chris, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything else -> General discussionMessage format

GaryM
Posted 2006-06-16 11:21 AM (#1325)
Subject: Russian Driving Licence -> UK Driving Licence
Expert

If a Russian citizen has a Russian driving licence then a marries a UK citizen and and moves to the UK, how do they get a UK driving licence? Does the person have to take another driving test in the UK or is the Russian driving licence deemed good enough for that person to just be issued with a UK driving licence?

I'm sure it's not that straight forward as nothing else seems to be but there must be people on here with Russian wives who have been in the situation where they had a Russian driving licence and needed to aquire a UK one
truckerjon
Posted 2006-06-18 12:24 PM (#1327 - in reply to #1325)
Subject: RE: Russian Driving Licence -> UK Driving Licence

Veteran

As a driving instructor i can answer this one! A russian would need a Russian driving licence to drive in the UK. This would be valid for 12 months after which time they would need to take a UK driving test for a UK licence. check out the DVLA at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm
Chris
Posted 2006-06-19 2:13 PM (#1331 - in reply to #1327)

Expert

Hi

While this is technically correct - I could not find anyone who would INSURE a driver with a Russian license, the companies all insisted on a UK, EU, USA or Australian etc. license. Let us know if you find a company that would oblige.

Chris
GaryM
Posted 2006-06-19 6:55 PM (#1332 - in reply to #1331)
Expert

I also found this

I guess it basically means that a Russian citizen with a Russian driving licence would effectively have to almost start from the beginning again with lessons and then a test if they wanted to be able to drive permanently in the UK

This poses a further question...for a Russian who marries and is in the 2-year temporary residency period (or is on a residency visa for the 3rd year) until he/she can apply for full UK citizenship, can they still apply for and take a test for a full UK licence when they are not actually yet a UK citizen? If they are allowed a UK driving licence as a non-UK citizen and for whatever reason they then never actually become a UK citizen and go back to Russia...would they then lose their UK driving licence?
truckerjon
Posted 2006-06-19 7:30 PM (#1333 - in reply to #1325)

Veteran

As I understand it, you do NOT need to be a UK citizen to obtain a UK driving licence, but you must be a resident with a UK address. So long as you have a residents visa of some kind you are ok. If you leave the UK and do not or are not allowed to return, you must surrender your UK driving licence.
Yes, i'm afraid that for a russian it means taking a full UK test including the Theory and hazard perception test. The teory test is available in 20 languages, but not russian, however it is be possible to to have a DSA approved translator to assist with the theory test. I am sure if you look hard enough, it would be possible to find a russian speaking driving instructor for the practical side of things. My Russian is very basic at the moment, but it could be something worth me looking in to when my Russian improves in the future!
GaryM
Posted 2006-06-23 1:01 PM (#1343 - in reply to #1333)
Expert

I guess if the Russian citizen does not already have a Russian driving licence then there probably isn't any point in taking lessons and a test in Russia if they're intending to marry and move to the UK...or do you think it would be more advantageous for them to get a Russian licence first and then have a few lessons in the UK afterwards just to get them through the UK test?

Also, the point about the UK licence and residency in the UK is interesting. Does this mean if a UK citizen who has gained a UK licence and then moves to another country for a period of time would have to surrender their driving licence and then re-take another test if they ever return?
truckerjon
Posted 2006-06-23 2:38 PM (#1344 - in reply to #1325)

Veteran

I would suggest taking lessons in the UK and not bother with lessons in russia if they intend to stay in they UK, it would just be duplicating costsa etc, and I believe our standards are much higher. I do believe it is possible "to buy" a driving licence in russia for the right money, but I certainly would not recommend that!
If a UK citizen moves abroad, so long as they remain a UK citizen or have the right of Abode in the UK, they can keep the UK driving licence and move back to the UK without having to retake a test. They might however have to obtain a licence for the country in which they are living, as a UK licence will probably only be valid for a short period, say 6 or 12 months.
Chris
Posted 2006-06-23 4:21 PM (#1345 - in reply to #1344)

Expert

As I said earlier Gary, even if you have a valid Russian license and dispite the fact that the UK DVLA say you can drive in the UK with a Russian license, there is no major insurance company that will give you cover so in practice you can't drive in the UK with a Russian license.

This is for the reasons mentioned by truckerjon that you can "purchase" a license in Russia (can purchase a UK one as well for £50.00 - what will happen when ID cards are imposed )

So, if a Russian comes to live in the UK, the only option is to get a UK license if they want to drive.

With regards to Russia, as a UK national you can drive in Russia for upto 12 months before you have to get a Russian license. I have driven there once or twice and it took years off my life in my opinion only recommened if you like bungee or base jumping or other extreame sports!!

Chris
Phillip1970
Posted 2006-07-11 4:10 PM (#1446 - in reply to #1325)

My wife drove on her Russian driving licence for 12 months here before passing her test and I got no trouble insuring her on my policy. My insurance comapny put it on the form as a International licence valid for 12 months. The only one I found that wouldn't insure her was esure.
Chris
Posted 2006-07-11 5:35 PM (#1448 - in reply to #1446)

Expert

Hmm - strange, we tried several including big names such as quote me stoopid, the anoying red phone to mention just two - who did you use?

Chris
kaliningrad kid
Posted 2006-07-12 4:49 AM (#1449 - in reply to #1448)

Elite Veteran

"have driven there once or twice and it took years off my life in my opinion only recommened if you like bungee or base jumping or other extreme sports!!"

Russia is very tame, try driving in the middle east, saudi or kuwait are the worst...Watch out for road surprises here that the indigenous drivers...lol
Chris can a UK or international licence be transfered to a russian licence or will i have to sit a test????
Even my vika took her test and then was refused a licence because at the time she still had a Kazakhstan passport...? some shit abour Russian Passport holders are only allowed a russian drivers licence?
kaliningrad kid
Posted 2006-07-12 8:02 AM (#1450 - in reply to #1344)

Elite Veteran

Futher to John's post regarding the validity of UK drivers licences elsewhere in the world, If you are a visitor a UK/International licence is normally accepted but if you gain residency in that country you have to obtain that countries licence in most cases. The middle east accept your UK licence on a 3 month work visa but after that you become a working ex-pat resident and require that countries licence.
Chris
Posted 2006-07-12 8:06 AM (#1451 - in reply to #1449)

Expert

Under current rules, it is not possible to transfer the license, you will have to sit the test - which is not hard for the practical, usually consisting of 5-10 minutes of driving (sometimes with other students in the car - and you swop to have your go on route!) but the toughest part you will find is the theory which is done on computer as in the UK all in Russian.

I do know that people have managed to bypass this akward moment by the ever popular "oh I dropped some money there, how careles of me, now where did it go, never mind ..." method which seems to work wonders for so many situations - not that I am suggesting you would do this Richard but it does go some way to explaining the standard of driving on the roads.

I know what you mean about the middle east, worked out there myself in the 90's - once in Bharain I was told by my host, if it rained, which it hadn't done for some years, to get of the road - so it promptly rained while I was there. Oily hot road meet rain water meet car meet driver in Toyota landcruiser doing 100mph meet 5 degree bend - oops. In 30 minutes there were hundreds of accidents and they had to close the main highway running down the length of the Island. That evening driving down the road it looked like a war zone, I think 30 minutes of rain did more damage than Sadams infamous scud attacks earlier in the year!
kaliningrad kid
Posted 2006-07-15 4:46 AM (#1460 - in reply to #1451)

Elite Veteran

your host gave good advice...they drive like madmen in all conditions but rain make the road slick and 200kph means no control and accidents galore. Best one has to be fog don't slow down even if you can't see, just switch on your hazard lights so the fog knows your coming...lol
You advice about the russian licence is correct i had a confirmation from the Brit Embassy moscow they state you can use your UK licence
"We were assured by the GAI for foreigners (in Moscow) that one can use his UK driving licence for driving in Russia even if he has a temporary residence stamp in his British passport and stays in Russia for more than 1 year (but one should obtain its certified translation into Russian), so it's not necessary to get a Russian driving licence." British Embassy Moscow....

they also stated as you did that a driving & theory test would be required in Russian.
Phillip1970
Posted 2006-07-19 7:33 AM (#1481 - in reply to #1448)

I use its4me online insurance and we changed it from A Plan insurance who also insured my wife on my policy. I don't know if they do it individually, but I placed my wife on my own policy as an additional driver on an international driving licence. I found that if you use Kelkoo shopping you can find someone who will insure you
jonnoshore
Posted 2011-01-07 2:06 PM (#40444 - in reply to #1325)
Subject: Re: Russian Driving Licence -> UK Driving Licence
New User

Hi all,
I'm in a similar situation and was wondering where to start. My (then) girlfriend lived/studied here for 1 year on a student visa last year, last October we got married. The documents and 2 year card were processed late last year for my wife. Can she drive for 12 months from the visa card being granted or is it fromt he original into the UK date of the student visa?
John
DITTRICH
Posted 2011-01-25 3:46 PM (#40784 - in reply to #1325)
Subject: Re: Russian Driving Licence -> UK Driving Licence
Regular

My understanding is that the 12 months start ticking when you arrive in the UK on a visa. If you then leave, the UK, if only for a short while, then re-enter on a new visa then the clock is reset. Your other half came in as a student, then presumably left the country and came in on a marriage / settlement visa. Students when resident in the UK are allowed 12m on a foreign non EU license. The point is that she was not resident in the Uk after she left it on the student visa, until she arrived again on the marriage / settlement visa. if she was in the the Uk the whole time then 12m is up AFAIK.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)