Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: If the child does not cry, the mother knows not its wants - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

Sticky Getting to St Petersburg from the International Airport
Moderators: Chris, TonyH, nickomsk, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Moscow, St Petersburg and other Russian citiesMessage format

Ace100
Posted 2006-08-15 2:20 PM (#1659)
Subject: Getting to St Petersburg from the International Airport
New User

Hi everyone

I wonder if you could give me a quick bit of advice. I am arriving into St Petersburg airport next month (BA flights from Heathrow allowing!) and am wondering the best way to reach the city centre.

I have no russian language skills at all - but do have a map of my hotel with its address. If I give this to a taxi driver will this be sufficient - and how much should I be looking at paying for the ride?

Many thanks
TonyH
Posted 2006-08-15 4:37 PM (#1662 - in reply to #1659)
Subject: RE: Getting to St Petersburg from the International Airport

Expert

Hi

If you have not got anyone to meet you at the airport (the best option) I would ask RR to organise a taxi for you. You will know then what it is going to cost and won't have any problems getting to your Hotel and waste any nervous engery during your journey. But I guess it depends on how brave you feel if its your first time into Russia. There are always plenty of Taxis outside Pulkova 2 but what they will charge you could vary quiet a bit.

The last time I took a taxi it was back to the airport (about 2 years ago) from the North side of the city and it cost me 900 roubles (£18). These days if I haven't got a lift for one reason or another I use public transport and it costs about 45 roubles (not advised without language).

Regards

Tony

GaryM
Posted 2006-08-16 12:58 AM (#1668 - in reply to #1662)
Expert

I echo what Tony has said. I always get a taxi from the airport. I made a mistake the first time and got one on the taxi rank just outside the arrivals building of Terminal 2 which cost £30 to get to the north side of the city. Last time I went my girlfriend pre-booked a taxi from the airport and was only £15-20 so it does save money to get a taxi booked in advance.

You can get a bus from the airport to the Metro (you go to Moskovskaya on the blue line...3rd station from the bottom) and then use the Metro to get into the city but you have to be a little brave if you're going to do it that way and you speak little or no Russian because not many (if any) of the staff in the ticket office seem to speak any English so trying to buy a ticket could end up being a bit of a challenge

Also, if you're going by BA then they don't hand out migration cards on the flight (at least they didn't when I flew with them) which means you have to fill in a migration card when you actually get to Pulkovo airport. This is done just before you go through the passport control booths and there is a table at the bottom of the stairs with the migration cards on but what you will probably find is that there are none written in English. There were a few puzzled faces last time but I was already prepared and had taken along a translation sheet which everyone else seemed very grateful for. I suggest you print off a copy of the translation sheet from HERE and take it with you (along with a pen because there weren't any of those there either ). The "identification document" is your passport number and you just leave the "patronymic" name blank. If you have no actual invitation then leave the "invitation reference number" blank also. Just put "St. Petersburg" in the "organizations inviting you to Russia" section...you don't need to put the actual address of where you're staying.

I hope you have a great trip. St. Petersburg is a beautiful city. There are a few photos I took on my last two trips here (winter) and here (summer)

Edited by GaryM 2006-08-16 12:59 AM
Ace100
Posted 2006-08-16 9:27 AM (#1672 - in reply to #1659)
New User

Thanks very much both of you, I really appreciate your advice and help. Pre-booked taxi it is, I think!

simon
Posted 2006-08-16 8:08 PM (#1680 - in reply to #1659)
Extreme Veteran

Hi I have been to St Petersburg 4 times this year. The last 2 trips I got a taxi from the airport to Spb.A little strange, from the airport it costs between 1500-1700 rubles, yet comming back with another taxi firm it can cost only 600 rubles. I guess the airport is closer on the way back Hope you enjoy your visit.

Kind regards

Simon
Administrator
Posted 2006-08-17 6:17 AM (#1682 - in reply to #1680)

Veteran

Hi Simon

It is cheaper coming back to the airport, as the airport charges drivers for parking and waiting, up to 1,000 roubles for a 2 hour wait.

For people new to Russia, or who little or no Russian language, I would recommend booking a transfer from the airport/train station with a company (such as ours ) to make sure you are met on arival and safely and quickly taken to your hotel / apartment.

Chris

Michael
Posted 2009-05-25 9:21 PM (#22275 - in reply to #1682)
Extreme Veteran

This theme seems to have a place of its own in the new forum layout, so here's an update from the basic question-and-answer.

Taxis are - as noted - v. expensive, but there are now big notices up indicating fares to different parts of the city. And (last week) around 40 taxis and at least 6 people trying to tout you into one.

But bus-and-metro needs little if any Russian language, and costs at most 100 roubles, depending on what baggage you have.

Leave the terminal arrivals building, turn left, wend through the taxi touts, and there's a bus stop. Note: the FIRST bus stop. Any bus there will take you to Moskovsky metro. Two routes but little difference in time.
With little luggage, you can take the minibus. With more, that's hell, and even one big suitcase suggests waiting for a bigger bus. Not a long wait, especially now that there are some Chinese midi-buses. Sometimes they charge for baggage as if it were a person: sometimes not. The bigger buses charge on exit these days: minibuses, you pass your money to the driver en route.

The Metro station is ? 15 minutes. After playing with the spaghetti junction of the ring road, the bus heads down a straight avenue. (one of them turns off, but don't worry) There is the BIG roundabout with the Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad and then it's 600 yards to the metro: the other clue is that just about everyone gets off there,.

As to the metro: well, its a fixed price, and the ability to say or indicate is enough, or maybe to add "with Baggage", when they look at the baggage and give you a timed token for the right-hand side entry gate.

Sure, it takes longer than a taxi would, but I reckon that I'm in the Nevsky Prospekt area well within one hour of leaving the airport building, and that includes a cross-platform change at Technologisky Institut.

Michael
CDG
Posted 2009-05-26 2:00 AM (#22277 - in reply to #1659)
Expert

Ace100 - 2006-08-15 2:20 PM

Hi everyone

I wonder if you could give me a quick bit of advice. I am arriving into St Petersburg airport next month (BA flights from Heathrow allowing!) and am wondering the best way to reach the city centre.

I have no russian language skills at all - but do have a map of my hotel with its address. If I give this to a taxi driver will this be sufficient - and how much should I be looking at paying for the ride?

Many thanks

I've been to St Petersburg well into double figures and I fly with either BA or Rossiya Airlines.

Not once has my flight been late with either airline, the last couple of times with BA it actually got into St Petersburg around 30 minutes early. The migration card seems hit and miss, sometimes the Airlines have them, sometimes they don't. It's a pretty painless exercise to fill them in and will only take a couple of minutes.

It doesn't take very long for your bags to arrive, a lot of them time as soon as you have gone through passport control your bags are waiting for you on the baggage holdall.

Enjoy yourself for White Nights, magical experience, was there for 12 days in June last year.

I will be going again in either June or July.

P.S. Watch out for the mosquitoes at night when your sleeping!
jonnyy40
Posted 2010-04-30 1:43 PM (#33418 - in reply to #1659)
Subject: Re: Getting to St Petersburg from the International Airport
New User

What is this 'migration card'? My tourist agent didn't mention it. I also didn't pre-book a car to take me to the St.P hotel.I'm beginning to regret it now after reading this thread.What's a fair price for a taxi right now to the St.P hotel? I'm traveling next week.
Michael
Posted 2010-04-30 2:03 PM (#33419 - in reply to #33418)
Extreme Veteran

Migration card: a small two-part form (one for going in, one to hand in on leaving, so don't lose it). The travel agent wouldn't mention it - wouldn't have access to one. Details about you, your visa, and where the invitation came from. It asks for date of arrival AND date of leaving - probably wise not to fill in date of leaving since that will give flexibility in case of another volcano. I never do and nobody seems to mind.

Two weeks ago, BA cabin crew told me ' we don't carry them now', but as if by a miracle they did have them.
If they don't, you can get one at a table beside the queue to go through passport control. (If the queues are at all long, you can join the queue and fill it in while you move slowly forward). I seem to remember that there was a picture of one somewhere on this web site. Note that the two left-hand side queues are for VIPs and Russians.

I saw a price list for one taxi company - I think it was 850 roubles to the Moscow station on Nevsky, certainlu under 1000. Probably better to go to one of the taxi desks inside the terminal building - there are many many hustlers outside. But if you are nervous you could still, surely, book through Real Russia.

Michael
GaryM
Posted 2010-04-30 2:04 PM (#33420 - in reply to #33418)
Expert

Sorry, can't help you with current taxi rates as we usually either now get one of my wife's friends to pick us up from Pulkovo airport or we get a minibus into SPb and catch the metro.

You will usually be given the "migration card" on the aircraft whidh is just a paper form. It has 2 identical parts and you need to fill in both. When you go through immigration control at Pulkovo airport you need to hand them your passport and the filled in migration card. This then gets stamped and they will give you back one of the parts which you need to keep safe (do not lose it). Once at the hotel you give them your passport and the migration card where they will register it for you. When you leave, you hand your passport and the migration card (which has been registered) which they will then keep and just hand you back your passport.
GaryM
Posted 2010-04-30 2:05 PM (#33421 - in reply to #33419)
Expert

Michael got in beofre I did...looks like we were replying at the same time
GaryM
Posted 2010-04-30 2:12 PM (#33422 - in reply to #33421)
Expert

You'll find all the information you need on the migration card at the following link...

http://www.realrussia.co.uk/visa/register_visas2.asp#q10

You're probably also best advised to read that web page from the very top which explains all about visa registration and the migration card.
CDG
Posted 2010-05-03 7:49 AM (#33471 - in reply to #1659)
Expert

My fiancee normally sort's out the Taxi for me and her when she meet's me at the Airport, it cost's under 700 roubles to get to her appartment which is around a 40 minute drive from Pulkova. She use's a local firm which she rings beforehand.
Mel
Posted 2010-05-03 8:00 AM (#33474 - in reply to #33471)

Expert

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/

Take a look at this website, its very interesting and helpful for airports transferr's world wide in my opinion.

Michael
Posted 2010-05-03 10:06 AM (#33482 - in reply to #33474)
Extreme Veteran

Mel - thanks for the reference. That airport travel guide IS comprehensive and up to date for London and a few others I checked: but for St Petersburg (the one I checked particularly) it is horribly out of date in terms of cost. Current prices are at least 3 times those quoted for a taxi, and they don't tell the difference between the service bus to the metro (19 rur) and the minibus which is 25 or even more and usually charges as much again for luggage. And not just wrong in terms of a few months of price increases.
YZF-R1
Posted 2010-05-03 11:52 AM (#33484 - in reply to #33482)
Expert

http://www.pulkovoairport.ru/eng/

http://www.pulkovoairport.ru/eng/transportation/

jonnyy40
Posted 2010-05-03 11:14 PM (#33490 - in reply to #33418)
New User

The taxi prices are quoted in Dollars.I don't suppose it makes much difference which I take to Russia (Dollars or Euros)? Either will be exchanged for Roubles.
YZF-R1
Posted 2010-05-03 11:44 PM (#33491 - in reply to #33490)
Expert

jonnyy40 - 2010-05-03 11:14 PM

The taxi prices are quoted in Dollars.I don't suppose it makes much difference which I take to Russia (Dollars or Euros)? Either will be exchanged for Roubles.

If you're are going to use a cash machine whilst in Russia, tell your Bank before you go to be on the safe side.

Gary.

Michael
Posted 2010-05-04 8:34 AM (#33494 - in reply to #33491)
Extreme Veteran

You can change pounds at the airport and in the city. No need to pay fees here to change pounds into euro or dollars - though not EVERY exchange place in the city will take pounds, most will, in my experience. Whichever notes you take, be sure they are clean and relatively new, with no tears and no writing on them.

There are cash machines in the arrivals terminal; I'm not sure that there is a currency exchange there, but there certainly is one in the departures building, 150 yards to the left once you leave the arrivals terminal and walk past a teeming mass of taxi touts and two bus stops. Last time I used it, it was giving a reasonable rate.

Michael
GaryM
Posted 2010-05-04 11:32 AM (#33497 - in reply to #33494)
Expert

Just to confirm, there is a currency exchange place in the arrivals terminal. Once you've come out past customs and into the arrivals area (where friends & relatives are waiting to meet arriving passengers), turn back round 180 degrees and it's on the back wall on the left (before the toilets in the corner).

The Airport actually has one of the best exchange rates so we generally now just change our money there which saves us wasting time traipsing round the city trying to find the best rate which from past experience has never actually been any better than the airport anyway.
Michael
Posted 2010-05-16 10:43 AM (#33945 - in reply to #33497)
Extreme Veteran

Or, more simply put, if I may: come out of the baggage area and into the public arrivals area, then immediately turn right, and as Gary said it is on that 'back' wall. Yesterdys rates were 43 / 47.

On transport, the people that run the K3 'minibus' down to the Metro at Moskovsky are flooding the market now and there always seem to be three waiting. I still think it's better to wait for the bigger 13 city bus (19 roubles and they tend not to charge for luggage) or K13 midi-bus (maybe 25 plus more for baggage), then you don't get trapped at the back crawling over 12 sets of knees when you get off with a heavy suitcase. Same applies - more so - in going back to Pulkova: wait for anything but the minibus.
TonyH
Posted 2010-05-16 10:48 AM (#33946 - in reply to #1659)

Expert

Or act as cashier if you sat at the front !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)