Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: A deception that elevates us is dearer than a host of low truths - Marina Tsvetaeva
- (Added by: Administrator)

Does my wife need a visa for Greece if travelling with me?
Moderators: nickomsk, TonyH, Chris, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Visas -> All other visa topicsMessage format

roger71
Posted 2012-06-10 11:41 AM (#51239)
Subject: Does my wife need a visa for Greece if travelling with me?
Regular

hi

we are hoping to go on holiday to greece in july, i am a UK citizen and my wife natalie is living with me here in the UK on a UK spouse visa,

have read some articles on the web and we are still a bit unsure as to whether she would need to obtain a visa before travel or whether the fact that she will be travelling with me means that she doesnt need one?

quick responses required as we are looking to book something soon

thanks in advance !!
gareththomas79
Posted 2012-06-10 1:13 PM (#51240 - in reply to #51239)
Subject: Re: Does my wife need a visa for Greece if travelling with me?

Extreme Veteran

Pretty sure she'll need a Schengen Visa
Rasboinik
Posted 2012-06-10 6:04 PM (#51245 - in reply to #51239)
Subject: RE: Does my wife need a visa for Greece if travelling with me?

Expert

Your wife will need a Schengen visa to travel to Greece.

The visa will be issued free of charge but if the Greek Embassy uses a VAC to process the visa applications then you will have to pay the VAC administration charges.

HTH

roger71
Posted 2012-06-14 11:19 AM (#51336 - in reply to #51239)
Regular

hi, thanks for the replies,

in response to the replies am i right to assume that the quote from the Greek Embassy website visa section: 'Family members of EU/EEA/CH nationals who are holders of the relevant British residence documentation (click to see) do not require a visa in order to enter Greece, under the condition they are accompanied by the EU citizen or they are going to join him/her' does not apply to us in some way, and i guess that this is because there is a difference in my wife having a UK Spouse Visa and having 'relevant British residence documentation' ? this is the only issue i could see here, my understanding of British residence documentation isnt great so if someone could spell that out for me i would appreciate it, does this only apply to people with ILR?
gareththomas79
Posted 2012-06-14 12:09 PM (#51339 - in reply to #51239)

Extreme Veteran

I could be wrong, but I think that refers to EU citizens who reside in an EU country different to their EU country of origin (I assume you are a British citizen, living in Britain)
I've not worded that very well
If I'm correct, I'm sure somebody else will be better able to explain it (if it's in unclear)
roger71
Posted 2012-06-14 12:47 PM (#51342 - in reply to #51239)
Regular

yeah im british and have been living here since the day of my birth in Wigan ! but i understand your point that this might apply to people who are not currently living in the country of their birth, trying to contact the greek embassy for information is quite a difficult task, hence i came here, past experiences should have told me to come here first !

Gareth i noticed a post from you on another page regarding changes to FLR and ILR, and i think i am right in assuming you are in a similar situation to me in that your wife has a UK spouse visa, just wondering if you know exactly what they are now looking for when making decisions on ILR?

and am i right to assume any changes to regulations for FLR approval for example minimum income etc. are only applicable to new applications and not ones that have already been approved?

delboydavid
Posted 2012-06-14 2:52 PM (#51347 - in reply to #51336)

Extreme Veteran

roger71 - 2012-06-14 12:47 PM
am i right to assume any changes to regulations for FLR approval for example minimum income etc. are only applicable to new applications and not ones that have already been approved?

Correct

In answer to your original question, you WILL need a Schengen visa, but as Raffi has already pointed out, if your wife has FLR/ILR and can prove residence in the UK then the visa is free (subject to an admin fee if applicable) and cannot be refused if you have the relevant documentation.

Nothing to worry about.

The Residence Permit is something completely different and is issued under EU law (EU Directive 2004/38/EC and Article 21 TFEU) which applies to situations where a EU citizen has moved to another Member State. In the UK it would apply to someone living and working in the UK but holds a EU passport from another country. Their spouse would be issued an "EEA Residence Permit" rather than a visa. It's all to do with rights of free movement within the EU member states.

Hope that's clear!

gareththomas79
Posted 2012-06-14 2:52 PM (#51348 - in reply to #51239)

Extreme Veteran

Roger, if your Wife is already here (which I believe she is), then these new changes shouldn't affect her situation

In regards to Greece, I'm 99% sure you'll need a Schegen Visa for your missus. As your a Brit, living in Britain, the other avenue (Visa-free) isn't available to your Wife
gareththomas79
Posted 2012-06-14 2:53 PM (#51349 - in reply to #51239)

Extreme Veteran

There you go - much clearer and with directive numbers and everything from DelboyDave
delboydavid
Posted 2012-06-14 3:04 PM (#51350 - in reply to #51349)

Extreme Veteran

gareththomas79 - 2012-06-14 2:53 PM

There you go - much clearer and with directive numbers and everything from DelboyDave

I'm such a swat lol ...either that or I have too much time on my hands!

By the way Gareth, my missus will be skyping your missus re: Life in the UK test next month when she is back from Uzbekistan, if that's still OK...

gareththomas79
Posted 2012-06-14 3:19 PM (#51351 - in reply to #51239)

Extreme Veteran

Not a problem Mate. We're in Kyrgyzstan until 03 July, but after that should be fine
wiz
Posted 2012-06-30 12:23 PM (#51669 - in reply to #51239)

Expert

Sorry for been late but Dellboy and the other's have already answered the question correctly.

Your wife has a settlement visa FLR so she needs a Schegen Visa from the Greek Embassy and that will be FREE.

The bad news is, as far as I know, that you have to make the application in person and then collect again in person.

My co-patriots are a pain in the ass...... that is why I use my British Passport and thank God my wife has a Resident Card under the EU Directive 2004/38/EU , Freedom of movement, so we do not need any visa.........

Good time to go to the Greek islands...... many good deals I see...... going to KOS in October...... as we do every year.

Enjoy the trip but avoid going via Athens...... No problems for now but it's bloody hot......... 36 C

Good luck
kevingerbs
Posted 2012-08-19 8:10 PM (#52420 - in reply to #51239)

In addition to the above To save a bit of aggravation when booking Last minute holidays

"As of June 2012, holders of ordinary passports Russian passport for travel abroad traveling as tourists may visit at least 116 countries visa-free or with a visa-on-arrival".
In fact it is nearly impossible to book a 'last minute' holiday (days before you are going) where you need a visa from an Embassy visa service for anyone from UK, or any other country . My wife is twisting my arm to go to the following where we will book it 'last minute' currently looking at Antigua, Morocco, Sinai, peninulsa Sri lanka & Turkey again as we booked a last minute holiday to Turkey last year).
Perhaps this link should be publicised more across your forums
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Russian_citizens

Keep up the good work
Kevin Ward
Devi
Posted 2013-05-05 7:11 PM (#57508 - in reply to #51239)
Extreme Veteran

Does anyone have any experience of the 'just turn up service' at the Greek Embassy in London for a Schengan spouse visa. The UKBA have managed to totally stuff my plans for the honeymoon by taking 5 weeks to deliver the Biometric ID. So the wife has decided that 2 weeks somewhere hot is the desired alternative - Spain looked favourite as it is only a couple of hours max on the plane but the earliest for a visa appointment is the 7th June, which was greeted with a rather sour face from the wife.

There is an option to write and get an appointment within 2 weeks at the Embassy would would rather not waste my time with them as a couple of other websites say they never respond and deny the letter was ever sent. So Greece it is. They offer a service of turn up with no appointment on a Friday between 0930 - 1100 if you want a family members visa. Looks a good option, justifies a couple of nights in the Smoke (brownie points - collect them every chance you get), and I am quite happy to give Greece my business as they at least try to provide an ad hoc family visa option unlike the rest.

So, if I turn up at 0930 sharp does anyone have any experience of the service available. I'm intending to take a copy of the webpage printed out as I think it is going to be difficult getting through the door without an appointment.

Any info gratefully received.

Derrick
Malcolm
Posted 2013-05-06 12:05 AM (#57509 - in reply to #51239)

Expert

You can get a schengen visa on demand from the French visa agency in London if you're willing to pay for the premium service. You can turn up anytime and tell the bloke on the front door that you want the premium service. He will then direct you to the door directly to the left of the vast queue of Chinese people. You go up to the second floor, give them your documents and pay your money. All done in ten minutes. Otherwise, you can stand in a vast queue of Chinese people and wait. You can use this visa to visit any country in the schengen area. You don't have to go to France first.
Devi
Posted 2013-05-06 1:53 PM (#57512 - in reply to #51239)
Extreme Veteran

Thank you Malcolm for the info - I know about the French option but I have no plans to go to France until next year and very much doubt the first visa will be for more than 6 months. The original honeymoon plan was Paris - Geneva - Venice - Paris all by train leaving last week by the latest. So we intend to use the French option next time and do not want to blot the copy book by getting a French issued Schengan visa without actually showing our face in France.

So back to the original question - does anyone have any experience of the Greek Consulate for a spouse Schengan?
wiz
Posted 2013-06-14 11:57 AM (#58013 - in reply to #51239)

Expert

Sorry been late in the party....

I expect by now you have taken the chance and went in person to the Greek Embassy and have already a visa.

Normally you just arrive, go through the side door..... and there is a room where many people wait.

As you go up the steps it's the first door on the left. Don't go straight on the other door..... there is a pain in the ass woman........... who is very helpful! ((

I had a huge argument with her when applied for my new Greek Passport...........

So can you please let e know if you got the visa?

If not give them a call.
Devi
Posted 2013-07-04 10:57 PM (#58235 - in reply to #51239)
Extreme Veteran

In the end we didn't bother as the flights were a bit on the pricey side as it was short notice. But had an offer of a free apartment in Cyprus so ended up with them - and how quaint! The still have honorary consuls! So a quick visit to the guy that owns the Cypriot bar and restaurant in Bristol with the application and paid £6.90 to cover the courier to and from London. In terms of service, submitted it on Thursday evening, couriered on Friday and back in Bristol by Wednesday - they apologised for the delay, but the Monday was the bank holiday so it was delayed by a day!!!!!!

Had a bit of an argument when I phoned the London Embassy - apparently, he tells me, the 2004 directive doesn't apply to Cyprus as they have not implemented Schengan, but your visa will be free under the European rules as she is your wife they tell me. I pointed out this was the same bloody directive as the one that says I don't need to provide flight tickets and accommodation details - nonsense he told me. But I wanted the visa, so had to pre-book the tickets. But as the wife is Russian it is a 3 year visa.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)