Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: The best thing we can do if we want the Russians to let us be Americans is to let the Russians be Russian - George Kennan
- (Added by: Chris)

Schengen
Moderators: nickomsk, TonyH, Chris, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Visas -> All other visa topicsMessage format

DaveJH
Posted 2013-07-03 10:36 AM (#58207)
Subject: Schengen
Regular

My wife moved over a few months ago from Russia. I'm planning a few days away for our anniversary and need a bit of Schengen advice.

Do we need the marriage cert translated and Apostilled? Will this need to be done in Russia? If so, by whom?

Apologies, as no doubt this has been asked before, but no time to search through threads at work.

Thanks.

On a side note. How do you surprise your wife with a trip away! Stupid Schengen, kills the romance! And having to travel to London to get the visa and stay overnight, adds and extra £400 to the cost of a European weekend getaway. Not exactly a user friendly system!

muffy
Posted 2013-07-03 12:34 PM (#58208 - in reply to #58207)
Subject: RE: Schengen
Extreme Veteran

DaveJH - 2013-07-03 10:36 AM

My wife moved over a few months ago from Russia. I'm planning a few days away for our anniversary and need a bit of Schengen advice.

Do we need the marriage cert translated and Apostilled? Will this need to be done in Russia? If so, by whom?

Apologies, as no doubt this has been asked before, but no time to search through threads at work.

Thanks.

On a side note. How do you surprise your wife with a trip away! Stupid Schengen, kills the romance! And having to travel to London to get the visa and stay overnight, adds and extra £400 to the cost of a European weekend getaway. Not exactly a user friendly system!

First of all where are you based if the trip is going to cost you £400?

As for the marraige certificate I went to Elena at Talk Russia and then got it certified at the Russian Embassy. However I would double check the requirements with the relevent embassy.

For where to go how about Turkey, no paperwork needed for that so it can be a suprise for her..

From experience I have always found the German Embassy in Edinburgh easy to deal with.
DaveJH
Posted 2013-07-03 3:10 PM (#58210 - in reply to #58207)
Subject: Re: Schengen
Regular

I live in Blackpool. So, return train to London £90 each. Not wanting to travel there and back in a day means hotel money and cost of a night in London.

We're planning Amsterdam, So Turkey out of the question. But that's not a bad idea for family holiday with my daughter next year though.

It would in theory probably be the same price to go to go to Bruges for 3 days and then over to Amsterdam. That way I can get the visa from the embassy in Manchester and just drive there. The nation is bigger than just London, and something sensible should be put in place for those living further afield.

Yeah, it looking like all the embassies have different requirements. as always a minefield! I'll make sure I call to the relevant embassy first.
grantring
Posted 2013-07-03 3:22 PM (#58211 - in reply to #58207)
Extreme Veteran

Why not just use one of the ones that allow postal applications and then you can keep the surprise we used the German Embassy. Also as long as you has the stamp put on the back of the document in Russia and then Elena at Talk Russia gives it a certified translation you do not need to have anything else done to it
muffy
Posted 2013-07-03 5:24 PM (#58212 - in reply to #58211)
Extreme Veteran

grantring - 2013-07-03 3:22 PM

Why not just use one of the ones that allow postal applications and then you can keep the surprise we used the German Embassy. Also as long as you has the stamp put on the back of the document in Russia and then Elena at Talk Russia gives it a certified translation you do not need to have anything else done to it

Its a good shout, my wife went to Hungray recently but we found the application process for them(we live in Edinburgh) to be a pain so we went the postal route(well hand delived) with the German Embassy however they do require the applicant to turn up in person for the first application.
DaveJH
Posted 2013-07-04 8:04 AM (#58215 - in reply to #58207)
Regular

I'll have a closer look at the document, to see if there's a stamp on the back.

We'd been thinking of Spain next summer, and reading their website, they require, Apostille from the country of marriage. So it might we'll be best to plan ahead for that.

Thinking round of a round trip. Eurostar to Brussels is only £39. Then fly to Amsterdam, and the fly back to Manchester. It does raise another question. As the Eurostar travels through France to Belgium, Would France be classed as the first country of entry.

Might just have a week it Skeggy instead
grantring
Posted 2013-07-04 10:27 AM (#58216 - in reply to #58212)
Extreme Veteran

muffy - 2013-07-03 5:24 PM

grantring - 2013-07-03 3:22 PM

Its a good shout, my wife went to Hungray recently but we found the application process for them(we live in Edinburgh) to be a pain so we went the postal route(well hand delived) with the German Embassy however they do require the applicant to turn up in person for the first application.

Seems if your a spouse postal is still ok in London long time since we used it as my wife has the UK passport now but worth some a look

http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/07/03__Visa/021__Ap...

To apply for German visa by post, please ensure you meet the requirements for postal applications or your documents will be returned to you. You may only apply by post if you meet one of the following:
If you are a spouse of an EU or German national or
If you have had a Schengen visa from the German Embassy in London issued within the past 12 months or
If you have had at least 2 used Schengen visa from any Schengen Embassy issued within the past 24 months or
If you have had a one-year or multiple-year Schengen visa within the last 24 months and have used it.

Edited by grantring 2013-07-04 10:29 AM
grantring
Posted 2013-07-04 10:30 AM (#58217 - in reply to #58215)
Extreme Veteran

DaveJH - 2013-07-04 8:04 AM

We'd been thinking of Spain next summer, and reading their website, they require, Apostille from the country of marriage.

You do need the above we did it before we left russia was a simple process in Samara of visit one place and come back in a few hours
Bowie Fan
Posted 2013-07-04 3:07 PM (#58220 - in reply to #58215)

Veteran

DaveJH - 2013-07-04 8:04 AM

We'd been thinking of Spain next summer, and reading their website, they require, Apostille from the country of marriage. So it might we'll be best to plan ahead for that.

We've received three Schengen visas from the Spanish Embassy in London within the past year.

No Apostille required .. our marriage certificate has simply been translated by Yelena at Talk Russian.
DaveJH
Posted 2013-07-06 4:35 PM (#58252 - in reply to #58207)
Regular

Having a few different ideas now. Am I right in thinking that my wife doesn't need a visa for Prague as long as she is with me? To clarify, we have the spouse visa and she is currently living in England.

http://www.mzv.cz/jnp/en/information_for_aliens/family_member_of_an...
Vilis
Posted 2013-07-07 12:41 PM (#58254 - in reply to #58207)

Veteran

Just an idea Dave -there's a Dutch consulate in Liverpool (just down the road from you ) http://www.embassy-info.com/dutch-consulate-in-liverpool-united-kin... it would save a trip to London!

My wife got her Schengen from our local consulate. We went to Amsterdam, then a few months later we went to France on the same visa.
We just booked an appointment, went along with our documents and five days later, got Galina's visa in the post. It was free too - except for £5 postage that we had to pay.

Hope this helps.

Vilis.
Rasboinik
Posted 2013-07-08 2:38 AM (#58257 - in reply to #58254)

Expert

When getting a Schengen visa it is best to use the visa for the first time to enter the Schengen Zone through the country that issued the Schengen visa.

I know that quite a few people ignore this issue and that not all those that ignore the issue suffer from the consequences but the the question that must be asked is "Is it worth it to run the risk?" and in my opinion the answer is "No it is not".

Just as an example:
Applying for a Dutch (Netherlands) Schengen visa and then entering the Schengen Zone through Amsterdam (Schiphol).
Flights from the UK (most airports) to Amsterdam are around about £110 return (if booked a few weeks in advance).

OK Sleasyjet is a little bit cheaper, about £90 return but that is before you pay all the extras and by the time all the extras are paid Sleazyjet will be much more expensive.

muffy
Posted 2013-07-08 8:07 AM (#58263 - in reply to #58252)
Extreme Veteran

DaveJH - 2013-07-06 4:35 PM

Having a few different ideas now. Am I right in thinking that my wife doesn't need a visa for Prague as long as she is with me? To clarify, we have the spouse visa and she is currently living in England.

http://www.mzv.cz/jnp/en/information_for_aliens/family_member_of_an...

I would double check with the embassy if I was you as now the Czech Republic is part of the Schengen zone it does not look right.

Edited by muffy 2013-07-08 8:07 AM
DaveJH
Posted 2013-07-08 12:01 PM (#58269 - in reply to #58207)
Regular

It's good to know there's a consulate in Liverpool. I'll call them to check the details.

Yeah, i've flown sleasyjet to amsterdam a couple of time. Found a good deal with jet2 for the dates we intend to go. Flights and 4 days hotel for £177 a piece.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)