Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: When everything is easy one quickly gets stupid - Maxim Gorky
- (Added by: Chris)

driving to St Pete from UK
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Accomodation, trains, planes and automobilesMessage format

glinjik
Posted 2013-11-13 6:30 PM (#59677)
Subject: driving to St Pete from UK
New User

just an update i have done this trip many times so here is personal experience

preparation if its winter months make sure you have winter tyres the Russians couldn't give a monkeys but its illigal to drive through Germany without them, you must have snow chains, a fire extinguisher, spare bulb kit, some jump leads, a couple of cans of instant tyre fix, alcohol 2 x tester for France, some polish money if you intend to drive through motor way in Poland, drop out all the water from you radiator and put neat antifreeze, half fill washer bottle with antifreeze, take a tow rope, put your spare tyre in an accessible place jack as well, a square block of wood works wonders under the jack, some spare fuel in a can, i take 15 litres.

i catch the night ferry from Dover and get through France Belgium and Netherlands and onto the autobahn before morning then sleep in the back of the car till mid morning, get a shower in the services in Germany 3 euro, head on the autobahn keep going and get into poland sleep, next day early morning cross through poland and sleep for a while get through Lithuania and Latvia, arrive at border.

do not speed in Latvia stick to the limit strictly, there are cameras all over and you will be fined at the border. i was caught for doing 3 km an hour over the limit let me off but it was a gypsy's warning.

at the border Latvian pass you through quickly no probs, at the Russian side, you drive up to a white line and they will wave you forwards stop check passport fill in immigration card leave the car where it is go to second booth fill in customs declaration search car after that go to exit gate pay 300 rubles for toll drive to your destination

a couple of points have some euro and change it at the border little hut left hand side of road before Latvian border
they are now enforcing the 50 kilo rule so don't kick the arse out of it, its is 50 per person

what you need drivers licence both parts, your car log book or v5 i think it is now, your passport and visa of coarse

you don't need insurance to cross the border as soon as you cross you can buy a green card in a million booths on the side of the road first one is about 100 yards after the border if its closed carry in through perm just look for green lights and 24Ч should cost a bout 1000 roubles per month

what you need driving in Russia your v5 log book, drivers licence, international licence £5 from post office you don't need it to cross border but if dps stop you then they may ask for it, also need your customs declaration, green card that's about it watch out for the giant pot holes don't worry if people tail gate you they all do it. any questions ask me oh forgot don't lose your migration card or customs declaration or you gonna be in the poo poo,

it might sound complex but it not it simple oh make sue you have insurance for Europe or when you leave Latvia customs will give you problems oh the limit for fuel in cans leaving Russia is 10L the Russians dont care the Latvian do and its the first thing they ask about.
DITTRICH
Posted 2018-01-03 10:03 PM (#92125 - in reply to #59677)
Subject: Re: driving to St Pete from UK
Regular

Mirrors my own experience driving London to Moscow.
Driving at night in Poland and Russia requires concentration due to the variable nature of the road surface.
Driving at night over the continent was always the way to go because it was so much faster.
Used to sleep in the car in Germany and then in a Hotel in Kaunas going through Lithuania.
People used to call me mad for driving all that way but for me it was relaxation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)