Real Russia — Hotels, Trains, Visas, Tours, Trans-siberian experts
Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Random quote: Technique is noticed most markedly in the case of those who have not mastered it - Leon Trotsky
- (Added by: Administrator)

Urgent Advice and Help
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Russian Relationships -> GeneralMessage format

jon_newman
Posted 2015-04-28 8:21 PM (#64253)
Subject: Urgent Advice and Help
New User

Dear RealRussia,

Back story - I have been in a relationship with a Russian woman for over 2 years and am now (desperately) looking for a way for us to be together. We met in UK while she was here as a tourist and we then met a few times in different European locations before she came here for a month or so. She has now moved to America where she has been for over a year on a tourist visa. I have been a couple of times to stay with her there. I am a self-employed freelancer in the film/tv industry and currently do not earn over the amount needed (every month) to qualify for a marriage visa, even if we were to get married. Her mother and brother are also in America, and her mother since moving there has got married to an American man.
My girlfriend is adamant she does not want to return to Russia as she feels she has no future there and for fear of not being able to return to the US and see her mum and, as she cannot also come here to be with me, is now considering appealing for asylum in the states to remain there.
I do not know what to do. I am trying to build my career in my desired industry but while that happens there is no way to us being together. If I quit this and took up a 'regular' job for 6 months over the required amount, could I marry her in America while she is claiming asylum and (cancelled the asylum claim) then have her come to the UK? How does claiming asylum in another country potential affect an attempt to get a marriage visa here in the future? Is there any way around the 6 months of pay slips, work proof stuff (like moving to another country together and then coming back here)? If she returned to Russia and we got married there, would I then have to return to UK without her, work for 6 months and then apply for the marriage visa? how does this procedure even work if you are not earning the required amount each month? and how long would this all potentially take to sort out before she could actually step foot on UK soil..
If she returned to Russia, how easy would it be for me to move to Russia and, say, teach English? I have previous experience in Asia doing this for a year.
Our relationship, and lives, are in a muddle and we need a clear picture of our future - but I'm not even sure as to how to make our future together..
When we first got together and fell in love I never considered the logistics and practicalities of how we could be together but looking into the details it seems a daunting task. But I can't picture a future without her. Even being in different countries and time zones we speak and communicate everyday like any other couples do..
I am also very worried about her applying for asylum (to me this is a overtly drastic action with potentially bad consequences) and I am worried for her future prospects if she does this (I think she has to renounce Russian citizenship).
Any thoughts, advice or comments from outsiders with an understanding of this situation would be really appreciated.
I apologise for the long message and thank you if you've read this much.
Best,
Jon
DeaconStreet
Posted 2015-04-28 10:48 PM (#64254 - in reply to #64253)
Subject: Re: Urgent Advice and Help

Expert

Hi

bit of a muddle isn't it. will try to answer some of the Q's. Technically there should be no issue in applying for her to have a visitor visa to spend some time together in the UK. This might assist in making your decisions for the future. Same rules apply - 6 months slips, sponsorship by you and all that BUT you may falter on grounds to return (to Russia) as it seems like she would (want to) be returning to USA. Given your circumstances, I would forego this approach at this stage.

As a married couple you will have to prove salary for marriage visa - you know that stuff. It does not matter whether she has US citizenship (unlikely to be granted IMO) or Russian. The rules are the same.

From what I understand you can forget working in Russia, you'll wait a long time to get a job and the salary will be poor when you get one?

You seem adamant that she will claim asylum in the US. On what grounds? To me, these thoughts really muddy the water and I cant imagine the short term consequences. You have the possibility to earn what you do, prove it to HM.gov Ltd, back this up if need be with a second job and get over the income threshold. Marriage in the US or Russia will then allow you to be together in the UK (if you tick all the boxes as detailed elsewhere - not difficult). It's not simple but it's not difficult either.

I imagine that her Visa will be expiring in due course. Maybe more logical to return to RU for a while and that you support her totally with a robust plan for your future together.

This to me seems your logical path and you should talk to the lady and explain that this is the best route. Suggest to her that A-seeking might rock the boat for you both and cost you both in terms of times and money.
DeaconStreet
Posted 2015-04-28 10:57 PM (#64255 - in reply to #64253)

Expert

Afterthought.. do you have property and/or savings? A family member perhaps who could lend you several quid for quite a time...

property can be turned into savings and this would reduce the burden on salary requirements. drastic measures though, even if she's worth it.
LeesaJohnson
Posted 2017-07-17 10:32 AM (#91244 - in reply to #64253)

Nice story
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)