So many scammers!
stuey
Posted 2009-02-12 4:23 PM (#19429)
Subject: So many scammers!
Elite Veteran

Maybe it is because of the recession that they are all coming out of the woodwork at once! It just seems recently that so many of them are appearing.
I am sure that all out there will add to this and pass on any advice that they have on how to spot a scammer in order to help those who are in doubt.
The obvious advice is:

1. NEVER SEND ANY MONEY!
2. Try and get a name and address or at least town/city name and google (and other search engine) it!

Please continue to add....

Stuey
nickomsk
Posted 2009-02-12 4:44 PM (#19440 - in reply to #19429)
Subject: RE: So many scammers!

Expert

No Stuey, they have been around for a long time...

The funniest ones are the nigerians or ivory coast scammers, they great lenght and detail they go to trying to explain to you how the dead parents left millions of dollars in offshore accounts that only i can access for them.

Just send them all my bank details and they will start the transfer process of all the money,then i just send some back to them... Yer Right!!!!!!!! Bannana boat springs to mind......
ianf7525
Posted 2009-02-12 4:48 PM (#19442 - in reply to #19440)
Elite Veteran

Did you hear about the guy who played them at their own game? He said to them - yeah okay, we'll do that, but my bank wants £100 administration fee for handling the transaction, so the daft b*ggers sent it to him!!!
TonyH
Posted 2009-02-12 4:49 PM (#19444 - in reply to #19429)
Subject: Re: So many scammers!

Expert

There are no golden rules Stuey....Number 1. should be don't send money to someone you have never met and not NEVER SEND ANY MONEY. If your girlfriend is on a dating site Google will find her anyway so it proves nothing really. And as we know from other members, scam site can be miss used by men.
Malcolm
Posted 2009-02-12 6:10 PM (#19458 - in reply to #19429)

Expert

This is an absolute classic:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3887493.stm
stuey
Posted 2009-02-13 9:04 AM (#19530 - in reply to #19440)
Elite Veteran

nickomsk - 2009-02-12 4:44 PM

No Stuey, they have been around for a long time...

The funniest ones are the nigerians or ivory coast scammers, they great lenght and detail they go to trying to explain to you how the dead parents left millions of dollars in offshore accounts that only i can access for them.

Just send them all my bank details and they will start the transfer process of all the money,then i just send some back to them... Yer Right!!!!!!!! Bannana boat springs to mind......

I know they have been around for a long time, but it is recently that more of them are appearing.
I checked out the my wife before we first met (as I am sure many of you will have done the same) and found she came up on another site to the one we met on, but she did not come up on any SCAM site!
It is just better to be safe than sorry that's all.

miller33
Posted 2010-08-05 1:49 AM (#36716 - in reply to #19444)
New User

Hi tony.I was just reading your last message you sent,And i have been thinking on what to do,As i have been writing to a Russian girl each day for mouths now!And we feel much for each other... well i do but there is some thing in the back of my head what makes me feel different!As i have told her about the scams going on and we had a little fall out about it,but we are back talking and i am falling for her and she tells me that she loves me as well and she would love to come and live in England,but she has asked for help with money for passport and visa and medical papers,And she has told me it will cost $710 dollars and it is about 420 pound for all the paper work,but i looked up the price for a Russian passport and it was $40 dollars and a visa was $131 dollars so i don't now what to believe!And she rang me on my mobile and we talked about this scam and she talked about me not trusting her and i have asked her if i can ring her but she tells me she has no phone and she had to use a pay phone to ring me!I would now if it was a scam if she asked for money at the start but we have talked so much,but i have looked at other sites and they talk about they not having phones and you can not ring them and if they ask you to send money to this money gram its more likely to be a scam.I just wished i never had this doubt in my head as i have fell for her and if she is right what she talks about that she is for real i don't wont to lose her!just hope you can give me some advice in this matter! thanks james
Rasboinik
Posted 2010-08-05 2:13 AM (#36717 - in reply to #36716)

Expert

Have you ever meet this person in real life? If not then tread very, very carefully.
As a 100% rule never ever send money or something that can be converted into money to someone that you have not meet in person.

I am not sure if there are a few misunderstandings here or not but I will answer a few points (as I understand them).

First of all the chances of her obtaining a visa to come and live in England without ever having meet you in person are nil.
Medical papers? What medical papers does she need?

Assuming that you have never meet in person, I am going by the information that you provided (no mention of you visiting her)
My recommendation to you is for you to say to her that instead of her travelling to visit you, you would prefer to go and visit her first, if she declines that offer then make your own conclusions.

I am not casting aspersions, but according to the information in your post I have an alarm bell ringing in my head.
Mel
Posted 2010-08-05 4:50 AM (#36718 - in reply to #36716)

Expert

miller33 - 2010-08-05 6:49 AM Hi tony.I was just reading your last message you sent,And i have been thinking on what to do,As i have been writing to a Russian girl each day for mouths now!And we feel much for each other... well i do but there is some thing in the back of my head what makes me feel different!As i have told her about the scams going on and we had a little fall out about it,but we are back talking and i am falling for her and she tells me that she loves me as well and she would love to come and live in England,but she has asked for help with money for passport and visa and medical papers,And she has told me it will cost $710 dollars and it is about 420 pound for all the paper work,but i looked up the price for a Russian passport and it was $40 dollars and a visa was $131 dollars so i don't now what to believe!And she rang me on my mobile and we talked about this scam and she talked about me not trusting her and i have asked her if i can ring her but she tells me she has no phone and she had to use a pay phone to ring me!I would now if it was a scam if she asked for money at the start but we have talked so much,but i have looked at other sites and they talk about they not having phones and you can not ring them and if they ask you to send money to this money gram its more likely to be a scam.I just wished i never had this doubt in my head as i have fell for her and if she is right what she talks about that she is for real i don't wont to lose her!just hope you can give me some advice in this matter! thanks james

Hi James, and welcome to the Forum......

Firstly, you have given very little info in your post, which could be relevant to your story, eg, How old is she, Where in Russia is she from, What does she do..????

I very much doubt thats she does not have a mobile phone, or has access to one......

My first impression when reading your post was that she is trying to scam you, and I would urge you very strongly to be very careful for the time being....

I as Raffi has said, would suggest that her chances of getting a visa to visit you are very low, and the easiest way is for you to visit her in Russia initially where you could meet her family and friends, that would go a long way to settling this issue...

James, where are you from, how do you write to her and her to you, by e-mail only, or do you have her home address..????

Michaeldunha
Posted 2010-08-05 5:28 AM (#36719 - in reply to #36718)

Elite Veteran

Is there any doubt here that he's being scammed (she hasn't got a mobile...like that's believable)?? But if he wants to be sure, he simply needs to get on a plane and meet her in Russia...if she objects to this then he'll have is answer.
Mel I think he's here in England, (she would love to come and live in England) but I can understand why you might think otherwise
TonyH
Posted 2010-08-05 7:42 AM (#36722 - in reply to #36719)

Expert

Michaeldunha - 2010-08-05 5:28 AM

Is there any doubt here that he's being scammed (she hasn't got a mobile...like that's believable)?? But if he wants to be sure, he simply needs to get on a plane and meet her in Russia...if she objects to this then he'll have is answer.

Hi and welcome James...unfortunately for you I totally agree with the above post. Of course if she does say 'yes ok visit me' you MUST carry that through and visit and NOT send anything before you have met her.

wish you luck

T

wiz
Posted 2010-08-05 11:40 AM (#36735 - in reply to #19429)

Expert

The Russian fires are burning all over the place and this one obviously is a lovely young woman called..."Boris".

Run forest Run.......... and no second thoughts.
dave_m
Posted 2010-08-05 11:41 AM (#36736 - in reply to #36716)

Veteran

miller33 - 2010-08-05 1:49 AM

Hi tony.I was just reading your last message you sent,And i have been thinking on what to do,As i have been writing to a Russian girl each day for mouths now!And we feel much for each other... well i do but there is some thing in the back of my head what makes me feel different!As i have told her about the scams going on and we had a little fall out about it,but we are back talking and i am falling for her and she tells me that she loves me as well and she would love to come and live in England,but she has asked for help with money for passport and visa and medical papers,And she has told me it will cost $710 dollars and it is about 420 pound for all the paper work,but i looked up the price for a Russian passport and it was $40 dollars and a visa was $131 dollars so i don't now what to believe!And she rang me on my mobile and we talked about this scam and she talked about me not trusting her and i have asked her if i can ring her but she tells me she has no phone and she had to use a pay phone to ring me!I would now if it was a scam if she asked for money at the start but we have talked so much,but i have looked at other sites and they talk about they not having phones and you can not ring them and if they ask you to send money to this money gram its more likely to be a scam.I just wished i never had this doubt in my head as i have fell for her and if she is right what she talks about that she is for real i don't wont to lose her!just hope you can give me some advice in this matter! thanks james

As with others who have replied to you I too, think she may be trying to scam you. I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago and thought the girl I was writing to you was genuine and that we were falling in love. This is the feeling they try to generate in you so that you will trust them to some extent, enough to send them the money that start to ask for after the initial communications. With me it took her 3 months before she asked for money. When I asked to meet her she refused and made all sorts of reasons for my not visiting her. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but I would be very, very, very dubious about her until you have met in person.
GaryM
Posted 2010-08-05 11:41 AM (#36737 - in reply to #36716)
Expert

James,

I don't want to jump to conclusions but this does smell of a classic scam. The fact that you have been in contact for some time is irrelevant...gangs of scammers have plenty of time on their hands and if they think they have a chance of reeling you in for some cash, they will pursue it with a vengence.

I hope I am wrong but I would definitely follow the advice of the others and tell her you will travel to Russia and meet her there first. The worst that can then happen is that you turn up to find no-one there to meet you but at least you will have a nice holiday and won't have been ripped off for a shed load of cash that you will never see again. If she is actually genuine and is there to meet you then you'll get to see her in person and get to see where and how she lives etc.

Good luck
YZF-R1
Posted 2010-08-05 3:49 PM (#36748 - in reply to #36716)
Expert

If she ain't got a phone then $710 will buy a fecking good one!

If i had $710 to spare i'd be sending it to an oil platform in Kurdistan!!

Edited by YZF-R1 2010-08-05 3:52 PM
TonyH
Posted 2010-08-05 4:10 PM (#36752 - in reply to #19429)

Expert

delboydavid
Posted 2010-08-05 10:11 PM (#36816 - in reply to #36716)

Extreme Veteran

miller33

Everyone on here has told you it's a scam because it IS a scam.

But OK, let's just for one second pretend it isn't. Send "her" the money. Then what? "She" has absolutely no chance whatsoever of obtaining a visa to visit the UK, so if your feelings for this "girl" are real and reciprocated, the ONLY way you will get to see each other face to face is for you to visit her. So you may as well do that now. Hand deliver the money and save on the Western Union charges...
Rasboinik
Posted 2010-08-05 11:16 PM (#36817 - in reply to #36816)

Expert

delboydavid - 2010-08-06 8:11 AM

miller33

Everyone on here has told you it's a scam because it IS a scam.

But OK, let's just for one second pretend it isn't. Send "her" the money. Then what? "She" has absolutely no chance whatsoever of obtaining a visa to visit the UK, so if your feelings for this "girl" are real and reciprocated, the ONLY way you will get to see each other face to face is for you to visit her. So you may as well do that now. Hand deliver the money and save on the Western Union charges...

The only caveat that I will add to the above is.
Make sure that she fulfils the condition's that are required in order to obtain a UK visa before you hand over the "hand carried money".

My personal bet (with myself) is that you will not get into the situation where you will be in a position to deliver the hand carried money.
And that s because she will make every excuse under the sun explaining why it is "inconvenient" or maybe impossible for you to visit her in Russia.

YZF-R1
Posted 2010-08-06 1:20 PM (#36839 - in reply to #36817)
Expert

Rasboinik - 2010-08-05 11:16 PM

My personal bet (with myself) is that you will not get into the situation where you will be in a position to deliver the hand carried money.
And that s because she will make every excuse under the sun explaining why it is "inconvenient" or maybe impossible for you to visit her in Russia.

With my own personal experience if you do get into the situation where you'll be in a position to deliver the phone..opps..i mean hand carried money or perhaps both, just make sure you have a fecking good time while you're there!!

udmurt1
Posted 2010-08-10 7:38 PM (#36942 - in reply to #36839)

Hi James and welcome to the forum. I've got quite a bit of experience with Russian women :> and I've been married to one for over 5 years. My advice is that you need to put this girl straight on a few things. The British Embassy won't ever give this girl a visa to come to England, unless you have actually met, spent some time together and can prove some sort of a relationship. Even a tourist visa will be difficult, as the Embassy fully expect single women without children and property in Russia to stay in England and never go back. Her claims for 700 dollars are ridiculous. It doesn't matter if she had 7000 dollars, she still isn't going to get a visa. If you want to see if she is genuine then get yourself over to Russia, it's the only way. If she doesn't live in Moscow, then get her to meet you there for a week or so. Spent some time with her, maybe visit her family, see how she lives and how she treats her friends and family. She doesn't have a mobile ? Very very strange. Apart from a few tramps who sleep in the street I've never met a single Russian who doesn't have a mobile these days. If she needs money for a mobile then send her a little. I bought a very nice Nokia 1202 for less than 1000 roubles a few months ago ! £20 should do !
Michaeldunha
Posted 2010-08-11 5:20 AM (#36951 - in reply to #36942)

Elite Veteran

I agree with most of what you've said with though a few exceptions. I wouldn't expect her to travel to Moscow unless you was prepared to pay for travel and accommodation for her.
A week is a long time if things do not go well, a few days is I think more advisable...better to be safe than sorry.
£20 for a phone? cheapskate

TonyH
Posted 2010-08-11 7:48 AM (#36955 - in reply to #19429)

Expert

I'd agree with Michael and therefore would not expect her to travel and still hand deliver the £20 if you mucst buy her a phone. Got the feeling you won't get that far ;(
Mel
Posted 2010-08-11 6:34 PM (#36961 - in reply to #36955)

Expert

TonyH - 2010-08-11 12:48 PM I'd agree with Michael and therefore would not expect her to travel and still hand deliver the £20 if you mucst buy her a phone. Got the feeling you won't get that far ;(

Youve got no trust in people.....

DeaconStreet
Posted 2010-12-14 9:43 PM (#40066 - in reply to #36942)

Expert

udmurt1 - 2010-08-10 7:38 PM

She doesn't have a mobile ? Very very strange. Apart from a few tramps who sleep in the street I've never met a single Russian who doesn't have a mobile these days.

I was wondering how many of our "guests" come and read such words and ignore them, then go ahead and send money regardless. About 5 years, I started corresponding to a smashing guy in Iran who was fleeced by a boris for $500. Thankfully his story has ended nicely and he's found true love in his home country. We're still in regular contact and he offered to fly me to Iran for his wedding.. some really nice people out there :-)

It'll soon be xmas and a few fellas out there will be having their heartstrings being tugged at the moment.. be careful. Someone that they're corresponding with is suggesting to meet up in the UK if they can send a few dollars. Such stuff is in the dreams of course... If you need advice, come in and say hi and the folks here will try to help.

Golden Rule #1: Never send money to someone that you've never met
Golden Rule #2: A true Russian woman will always be too proud to ask.

2 rules that will be reiterated by everyone on here...
ivanivanov
Posted 2011-10-20 2:39 PM (#47146 - in reply to #19429)

I love that Ivory Coast scam. I must have received easily over a hundred in the past couple of years. Ditto though stuey. NEVER SEND MONEY!
Chris
Posted 2011-10-20 2:43 PM (#47150 - in reply to #19429)

Expert

Yes, never send money - but if you have the time and a twisted personality you can always try:

http://listverse.com/2010/09/11/10-great-scam-baiting-operations/
scampypants
Posted 2011-10-21 6:42 AM (#47181 - in reply to #47150)

Veteran

Chris - 2011-10-20 2:43 PM

Yes, never send money - but if you have the time and a twisted personality you can always try:

http://listverse.com/2010/09/11/10-great-scam-baiting-operations/[/...

fantastic !! i know what i will be doing all weekend