Abolish Registration...Please!
brism1948
Posted 2011-02-25 8:48 PM (#41351)
Subject: Abolish Registration...Please!
New User

Is there any possibility that the ludicrous and time consuming process of 'registration' may soon be abolished. If and when it is abolished, then I will happily resume my visits to Moscow.
I am a UK citizen and resident married to a Russian citizen and each time we have visited Moscow to see my wife's elderly mother, I have been subjected to the horrendous procedure of registration which on each occasion has entailed either waiting for hours in a queue with dozens of potential immigrants or trying to find some office in an obscure off the beaten track location. Also, because my elderly mother in law has been my sponsor it has been necessary for her to accompany me and for her to complete various forms etc. On one occasion the officials could not complete my registration after hours of queuing on the first day (A Friday), so they had to keep my passport over the weekend for me to pick up on the Monday after yet more hours of queuing and worrying with my mother in law (Very worrying). Fortunately, I was not stopped by the militsia over that weekend as all I had was a photocopy of my passport.
To me, the whole process is ridiculous, unnecessary and time consuming and casts a large dark shadow over my visits to Moscow; so much so that I have stopped going there. We often invite Russian friends of my wife to visit us in the UK and there is no need for them to register here. Why can it not work like that both ways?
Mel
Posted 2011-02-26 4:49 PM (#41376 - in reply to #41351)
Subject: RE: Abolish Registration...Please!

Expert

brism1948 - 2011-02-26 1:48 AM Is there any possibility that the ludicrous and time consuming process of 'registration' may soon be abolished. If and when it is abolished, then I will happily resume my visits to Moscow. I am a UK citizen and resident married to a Russian citizen and each time we have visited Moscow to see my wife's elderly mother, I have been subjected to the horrendous procedure of registration which on each occasion has entailed either waiting for hours in a queue with dozens of potential immigrants or trying to find some office in an obscure off the beaten track location. Also, because my elderly mother in law has been my sponsor it has been necessary for her to accompany me and for her to complete various forms etc. On one occasion the officials could not complete my registration after hours of queuing on the first day (A Friday), so they had to keep my passport over the weekend for me to pick up on the Monday after yet more hours of queuing and worrying with my mother in law (Very worrying). Fortunately, I was not stopped by the militsia over that weekend as all I had was a photocopy of my passport. To me, the whole process is ridiculous, unnecessary and time consuming and casts a large dark shadow over my visits to Moscow; so much so that I have stopped going there. We often invite Russian friends of my wife to visit us in the UK and there is no need for them to register here. Why can it not work like that both ways?

If its such a problem for you, I would suggest that you talk with RR and have them do the registration for you, it will save you much time and stress...

HTH..

brism1948
Posted 2011-03-01 8:16 PM (#41422 - in reply to #41376)
Subject: RE: Abolish Registration...Please!
New User

Mel - 2011-02-26 4:49 PM If its such a problem for you, I would suggest that you talk with RR and have them do the registration for you, it will save you much time and stress...

I've had far greater problems in my long life but few that can match the bureaucratic and ambiguous maze associated with Russian Visa registration. Even in China, the registration process is a doddle by comparison. The only country that could, in my mind, present a greater problem is North Korea.
I checked the one website I could find who list the new registration procedures applicable from 15 Feb 2011. Some relevant (To me) extracts are as follow (Their English, not mine):-
"A foreign citizen can be registered only at the residence address upon a personal presence of landlord."
" If you do not stay in the hotel, your visa can be registered by the owner of the home (the owner of the apartment or other people registered in this apartment) where you stay. For that it is necessary to fill in the Arrival Notification blank and to deliver it to the local Migration office or the post office. The owner of the apartment should present there:

– his/her passport;

– copies of your passport, visa and migration card;

It costs 220 RUR to send the Notification by post."

I would be staying at my 90 year old mother-in-law's apartment; she is the sole registered occupant. Does this mean I must drag her around with me to the local post office and get her to fill out all the appropriate forms etc? Seems a bit much to ask of her.
And then further down they state:- (Again, their English)

"If you come to Moscow with the visa issued on the base of our invitation:

1. On a Tourist visa.

If you do not stay in the hotel, your visa can be registered by any person (who is registered in the flat where you stay) at the local Migration service or at the post office (see the previous information).

The company Visa House helps foreign citizens with the procedure of completion and forwarding of the form of notification of arrival to FMS in Moscow. For this procedure please send us by E-mail or by fax within 3 working days after the arrival in Russia:
The passport copy
The copy of the visa
The copy of the migration card
The address in Moscow where you are expecting to stay
The contact phone number"

So what's that all about then? My mother in law has no email, no scanner and no fax, so that pretty well rules out that option then.
Maybe you can enlighten me here, but from what I can see my poor old mother in law could be in for a right old feast of foot slogging and form filling should I venture over there again. The one redeeming feature is the 220R fee at the post office which for a change doesn't appear to be a rip-off; or have I missed something there?
55North
Posted 2011-03-02 8:03 PM (#41436 - in reply to #41351)
Subject: Re: Abolish Registration...Please!

Extreme Veteran

When someone I know very well was courting, his wife-to-be simply borrowed the passport of her employer and registered him through the local PO. They never slept within 20 miles of the registered address.

On another visit, he was registered in the apartment of a friend the same way.

Simple.