Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I have to admit that I don't even try to speak Russian, though I understand it perfectly. I wouldn't want to insult the language by testing out my pronunciations - Lana Wood
- (Added by: Chris)

First class on trains - cabin sharing
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Accomodation, trains, planes and automobilesMessage format

ronpegram
Posted 2012-08-29 10:31 AM (#52551)
Subject: First class on trains - cabin sharing

I know that first-class sleeping cars have compartments with two berths.

If my wife and I book together, can we be guaranteed places in the same compartment, or is there is a risk that we will both end up with strangers?

Thanks for any help.
Mel
Posted 2012-08-29 11:33 AM (#52554 - in reply to #52551)
Subject: RE: First class on trains - cabin sharing

Expert

ronpegram - 2012-08-29 3:31 PM I know that first-class sleeping cars have compartments with two berths. If my wife and I book together, can we be guaranteed places in the same compartment, or is there is a risk that we will both end up with strangers? Thanks for any help.

If you book and buy your tickets ahead of the planned trip, either on-line, through Real Russia, or at the station, you will be advised of the availability of cabins on your travel dates, and you can ensure in this way that you get a cabin together...

HTH

Administrator
Posted 2012-08-29 12:34 PM (#52556 - in reply to #52551)
Subject: Re: First class on trains - cabin sharing

Veteran

We always book passengers travelling together in the same cabin unless requested otherwise.
ronpegram
Posted 2012-08-29 1:08 PM (#52559 - in reply to #52556)

Thanks for helpful replies. Here's a follow-up question. Suppose that three of us want to travel second class. Can we pay for four berths and get a cabin to ourselves?
Mel
Posted 2012-08-29 1:56 PM (#52561 - in reply to #52559)

Expert

ronpegram - 2012-08-29 6:08 PM Thanks for helpful replies. Here's a follow-up question. Suppose that three of us want to travel second class. Can we pay for four berths and get a cabin to ourselves?

yes is the simple answer, but you would need to pay for the fourth bert I think, try talking to Real russia, they will keep you right....

btw, I always travel second class normally in the 2 berth cabins....

HTH

55North
Posted 2012-08-29 2:04 PM (#52562 - in reply to #52559)

Extreme Veteran

ronpegram - 2012-08-29 1:08 PM

Thanks for helpful replies. Here's a follow-up question. Suppose that three of us want to travel second class. Can we pay for four berths and get a cabin to ourselves?

I understand from my wife that this is so, though whose passport covers Mr Nobody, I cannot tell you.

Incidentally, whilst travelling daytime Rostov - Pyatigorsk last week on a 'sleeper' train originating elsewhere (Moscow?), soon after starting a succession of coach attendants made their way to our party asking if we cared for a kupe at a 'reduced rate charge' for our 8-hour journey, the party including an old lady and a British person. Word must have spread very quickly. We accepted the reasonable 3rd offer, which greatly pissed off the others. No bedding, and in the older style kupe, but clean. The coach seemed to be otherwise empty, which was curious. Was it specially added for bung potential?
muffy
Posted 2012-08-29 5:01 PM (#52569 - in reply to #52551)
Extreme Veteran

I tend to travel second(more then 8 hours)/third class(less then 8 hours) if a lone traveller as I buy into the arguement that you are more secure if they are more people around you, however in response to the OP's questions about booking the fourth berth, I cannot see why not however I am sure Real Russia would advise how they would book Mr Noboby from Nowhere town in Non Existant Land as passport details(and are supposed to be checked on boarding) are normally taken when booking long distance train tickets in Russia.
Chris
Posted 2012-08-29 6:12 PM (#52572 - in reply to #52551)

Expert

Hi

Yes, each person travelling can buy two places - so two people could "close" a second class cabin and one could "close" a first class one, our travel team will be able to advise you.

Also, there are good discounts (50% off) available now for travelling in November / December in second class, again our team will be able to help you with this to get the best deal.
Dishevelled Dragon
Posted 2012-09-16 1:28 PM (#52913 - in reply to #52562)

55North - 2012-08-29 2:04 PM
I understand from my wife that this is so, though whose passport covers Mr Nobody, I cannot tell you.

That is a special passenger right mentioned in “RZD” rules. Passenger should ask in the ticket office (we are three people, we are travelling together, we want to book all kupe). The 4 places ticket will be issued for 3 passports.
Experienced travels recommend to forewarm the “provodnica”. It is not a free berth, we paid for it. (They should inform the head of the train about free berths. The head of the train informs an operator of ticket issuing computer system. If somebody has missed the train the ticket can be sold again to passengers traveling from the way stations. In your cases this place should not be reported as the free berth).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)