Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The greatest wisdom is to realize one's lack of it - Konstantin Stanislavsky
- (Added by: Chris)

Can I take duty free from Domododedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt???
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Accomodation, trains, planes and automobilesMessage format

peter northampton
Posted 2012-09-16 10:07 AM (#52908)
Subject: Can I take duty free from Domododedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt???
Extreme Veteran

Hello. I wonder if anyone can please help with this booze question?

I shall be travelling on Lufthansa from Domodedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt (in Frankfurt for about 3 hours). If I buy some duty free in Domodedovo will they allow me to take it on board at Frankfurt for the last leg of my journey?

I once travelled to the UK from Moscow via Denmark where they promptly 'confiscated' my whisky (and they were unpleasant as well, so never going to Denmark again..).

Alternatively, if I cannot take duty free from Moscow to Birmingham via Frankfurt does anyone know if I can get access to the duty free shops in Frankfurt? (although probably not as good as the prices in Moscow).

Finally, I used to buy whisky on BMI but as the last leg of my journey is Frankfurt to Birmingham with Lufthansa (operated by BMI) will they have whisky for sale?? (Doubt it because it is not a flight outside of the EU).

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Peter
Dishevelled Dragon
Posted 2012-09-16 12:59 PM (#52912 - in reply to #52908)
Subject: Re: Can I take duty free from Domododedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt???

Unfortunately you cannot take this bottle as a hand luggage in Frankfurt. The bottle should be bought in any EU airport. It is simpler to buy it in Frankfurt. I have not been in Frankfurt for ages. But I almost sure that you can buy whisky there.

PS. Are prices in Domodedovo cheap?
Devi
Posted 2012-09-16 1:57 PM (#52915 - in reply to #52908)
Subject: Re: Can I take duty free from Domododedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt???
Extreme Veteran

Peter

When you connect at a European airport from outside Europe to travel on - regardless where you are travelling on to - you have to go through a security check again. Therefore you have to comply with the liquids rule of nothing greater than 100ml - it has nothing to do with duty free, it is just that that is what normally causes the problem!

So you have to rely on trying to get it in Frankfurt at whatever the European 'duty free' deal is at the time.
Rasboinik
Posted 2012-09-16 2:08 PM (#52917 - in reply to #52908)
Subject: RE: Can I take duty free from Domododedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt???

Expert

Peter,

Dishevelled Dragon is 100% right about the confiscation issues for liquids bought outside of the EU.

The rules state.

Regulations for non EU countries

• Liquid goods purchased tax-free at an airport outside of the European Union will be confiscated at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. This also applies if the goods are sealed and applies to any purchases made on board of a non-European airline.
  • Sealed fluids from the United States and Canada can be transferred to the next flight via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. However, this does not apply if you transfer on a flight to the United States or if you take a Delta Airlines flight to Mumbai.
  • Are you flying from Schiphol and transferring in the United States or Canada? If so, we advise that you carry any tax-free liquids, gels or aerosols purchased beyond Customs Control in your checked-in baggage.
  • Are you flying from Schiphol and transferring in Australia? If so, you are prohibited from carrying any liquids, gels or aerosols purchased outside of Australia in your hand baggage.

The quote has been copied from the Schiphol web site (hence the references to Amsterdam/Schiphol but these rules are relevant to all EU Airports.

Now Lufthansa is an EU airline so it might be worth the risk of buying your whisky O/B the Flight because you can then argue that you bought the whisky on an EU carrier.

With regards to buying duty-free in Frankfurt, I have never had the pleasure of having a connecting flight to another EU airport flying through Frankfurt, so I am not 100% sure about this but in all the other EU airports that I have passed through there is always an option to buy duty-free either for travel outside of the EU or for travel inside the EU, the prices for the travel inside the EU duty-free option are different than the travelling outside the EU option.

They are higher because the items are not duty-free they are roughly the same prices that you pay outside the airport .

Porkpie
Posted 2012-09-16 2:28 PM (#52919 - in reply to #52908)
Regular

Can you bring duty free from Moscow in your hand baggage via Frankfurt? No you can't, but there are exceptions and I'd take a look at the airport website for details myself. http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en/check...
You can use the duty free shops in Frankfurt airport, but of course because your destination is the UK you will be required to pay the duty.
Devi
Posted 2012-09-16 2:38 PM (#52922 - in reply to #52908)
Extreme Veteran

This is the link for Frankfurt airport that explains the duty free carry through rules for that airport.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en/check...
CDG
Posted 2012-09-16 3:49 PM (#52924 - in reply to #52908)
Subject: RE: Can I take duty free from Domododedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt???
Expert

peter northampton - 2012-09-16 10:07 AM

Hello. I wonder if anyone can please help with this booze question?

I shall be travelling on Lufthansa from Domodedovo to Birmingham via Frankfurt (in Frankfurt for about 3 hours). If I buy some duty free in Domodedovo will they allow me to take it on board at Frankfurt for the last leg of my journey?

I once travelled to the UK from Moscow via Denmark where they promptly 'confiscated' my whisky (and they were unpleasant as well, so never going to Denmark again..).

Alternatively, if I cannot take duty free from Moscow to Birmingham via Frankfurt does anyone know if I can get access to the duty free shops in Frankfurt? (although probably not as good as the prices in Moscow).

Finally, I used to buy whisky on BMI but as the last leg of my journey is Frankfurt to Birmingham with Lufthansa (operated by BMI) will they have whisky for sale?? (Doubt it because it is not a flight outside of the EU).

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Why would you want to buy it in Russia to take back to England? It is normally cheaper in England duty free.

If you buy Vodka etc from Russia prior to the Airport just put in your hold luggage.

peter northampton
Posted 2012-09-16 6:37 PM (#52928 - in reply to #52908)
Extreme Veteran

Thanks for all the brilliant replies - you lot are good! Even a link to the regs at Frankfurt! Thanks so much all of you.
Strangely, I have bought cheap whisky on two occasions at Domododedovo. Both times it was a genuine special offer and was about 2/3 UK best discount price and was a decent malt (both bottles were covered in dust)!!
Maybe if I am lucky??? I can buy some el cheapo litre of run of the mill whisky on board the BMI from Frankfurt to Birmingham - anybody know ??
All the best
Peter
muffy
Posted 2012-09-17 11:55 AM (#52931 - in reply to #52908)
Extreme Veteran

I think the problem is the knowledge of the staff at Domodedovo rather then anything else, certainly my family have been denied duty free when they have attempted to buy it at DME however we managed to buy a bottle of Martini on Thursday evening without any hassle on a route via Frankfurt. Mind you, we did have 9 hours to kill in departures in Domodedovo plus a 10 hour break in Frankfurt and with the help of a few plastic cups, said bottle was rather empty by the time we boarded the plane at DME and the remains were gone by the time we got on the train back to Frankfurt airport.
muffy
Posted 2012-09-17 4:14 PM (#52935 - in reply to #52912)
Extreme Veteran

Dishevelled Dragon - 2012-09-16 12:59 PM

Unfortunately you cannot take this bottle as a hand luggage in Frankfurt. The bottle should be bought in any EU airport. It is simpler to buy it in Frankfurt. I have not been in Frankfurt for ages. But I almost sure that you can buy whisky there.

PS. Are prices in Domodedovo cheap?

Can confirm Frankfurt has a decent whisky collection certainly for the area Peter should be in, was there on Friday.
55North
Posted 2012-09-18 5:11 AM (#52943 - in reply to #52908)

Extreme Veteran

Off topic warning.

Someone very close to me ( ) recently brought back to the UK some very tasty wine from Abkhazia in their hold luggage.

Was this an illegal act given Abkhazia'a official international status?
Rasboinik
Posted 2012-09-18 6:46 AM (#52944 - in reply to #52943)

Expert

55North - 2012-09-18 3:11 PM Off topic warning. Someone very close to me ( ) recently brought back to the UK some very tasty wine from Abkhazia in their hold luggage. Was this an illegal act given Abkhazia'a official international status?

To the best of my understanding Abkhazia's international status is not an issue on this matter.

Assuming that the amount (quantity) of wine was within the duty free allowance (4 litres of still wine) and was for personal use then the act was legal.

(see below)

Warning - Tongue in Cheek comments

Assuming that the wine was not a product of illegal activity or a product derived from endangered species.

Are the grape vines in Abkhazia on the endangered species list?

Are the people that made the wine on the endangered species list?

Was the wine made because of ethnic cleansing or other crimes against humanity?

If the answer to any of the above is yes then you must regurgitate  the wine, re-bottle it, and if the wine is as good as the Georgian wine  that my wife's friends from Sochi gave me then I will happily relieve you of you illegal wine  

55North
Posted 2012-09-18 7:14 AM (#52945 - in reply to #52908)

Extreme Veteran

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. I hope not
5. In your dreams
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread