Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Without a shepherd, sheep are not a flock - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

Moving to Russia with a fixed income of $1500/92000p per month...where do I go?
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Living in RussiaMessage format

HorseyMD
Posted 2019-04-10 7:27 AM (#119070)
Subject: Moving to Russia with a fixed income of $1500/92000p per month...where do I go?
New User

Hey guys, this might be a weird question...

Because of a medical malpractice settlement from when I was a baby, I get monthly payments of $1446 (which is nontaxable in the U.S, I don't know about elsewhere) that go up by 3% every year. Now, in America, that's obviously nothing, and you'll be hard pressed to live here on that much money. But in Russia, that's 95,000₽, which I was told is more than enough to live comfortably in most Russian cities, and even live somewhat decently in Moscow or St. Petersburg. I would get a student visa to do a language program for foreigners like they offer at МГУ, so I'm not worried about my lack of Russian skills (though I can say basic things already, and read it)

What I'm worried about is TRP quotas...if I went to МГУ, the chances of my name getting picked in the lottery is probably slim to none...I'd be better off going to less popular areas of Russia to get a better chance of "winning the lottery", so to say. It's possible I just don't understand how this works.

Is there any cities/Universities that you would recommend? I've had the following cities recommended to me: Kazan, Sochi, St. Petersburg, Rostov-On-Don, Novosibirsk, Nizhny Novgorod and Velizhny Novgorod. I know it gets cold the farther east you go, but I lived in Montana for a few years and I've always dealt pretty good with subzero temperatures (faranheit).

I'd love a city with a rich culture and history, but I'd be willing to give that up for a year if it meant a better chance of a TRP.

Also, I didn't just choose Russia from a list of countries with low cost of living compared to America, I have always found Russian history, culture, and the language incredibly fascinating, so I picked Russia.

Maybe I'm completely insane, but my money would go much further in Russia.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)