Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Without a shepherd, sheep are not a flock - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

British Citizenship
Moderators: nickomsk, Chris, TonyH, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Visas -> UK visasMessage format

CDG
Posted 2020-02-17 1:22 PM (#124988)
Subject: British Citizenship
Expert

Hi guys, long time no speak.

We are shortly going to apply for my wife to become a UK Citizen and get a UK passport, we've been married and she's been living in the UK for almost 10 years, she has indefinate leave to remain and uk residence card. She passed her LIFE In UK Test around 7-8 years ago, am i right that this never has to be re-taken and is valid at the moment?

The only thing she has to pass it a B1 Speaking test at a test centre?

Cheers!
yoshkarola
Posted 2020-02-17 7:50 PM (#124989 - in reply to #124988)
Subject: Re: British Citizenship

Regular

Once you have passed the Life in the UK Test it will remain valid. indefinitely, which means you can take the test at anytime before you wish. to apply for Settlement/Citizenship. Some English Language tests have a validity period of 2 years
CDG
Posted 2020-12-28 5:08 PM (#125105 - in reply to #124989)
Expert

Hi guys, further on from my initial post with Brexit looming.

My wife has a UK Residence Permit and Indefinite leave to remain, the UK Residence Permit expires in June 2022. My wife has been in the UK since November 2010. I''ve spent the past few hours online making sure I am applying correctly. My wife has passed the life in UK test, i understand she has to demonstrate her English at a test centre first, approx �150-�200, providing she passes we then apply for British Citizenship at �1300 and something.

We have to apply before 30/06/2021.

Is that correct?

There isnt a cheaper option I have missed with her being in the UK for over 10 years, we were married in Russia prior to her coming and me being a born and bred English citizen?

Thanks if anyone can assist and a Merry xmas.

Edited by CDG 2020-12-28 5:11 PM
Andy5714
Posted 2021-01-02 8:41 AM (#125106 - in reply to #124988)
Regular

Hello, hope I can assist a little. Your post sounds a little confusing and I think you are mixing up the rights of EU Nationals to apply for Citizenship with your wife�s situation.
As it stands,your wife has indefinite leave to remain . She can stay in this situation forever if she wants to. There is no pressure to obtain citizenship nor time limit.
However, if she wants to become a citizen then she can apply at any time. My wife has just gone through this process.
The only advantage I can see with citizenship is a passport in reality.

Out of interest how has she obtained resident permits without a language test? She does need to pass B1 which is a 10 minute Q &A from what I recall.

Good luck over the final hurdles and through the hoops!
CDG
Posted 2021-01-02 1:29 PM (#125107 - in reply to #124988)
Expert

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. When my wife came to the UK in 2010, there was no language requirements. She has passed the Life In UK test which she had to apply for ILR.

I thought some rules had changed in regard to people staying in the UK after Brexit for all countries? Is it just EU countries?

Once we apply for the Citizenship, are most Russians here dual nationals? What passport do they use when travelling home?

To make sure ive got this right in my head, we pass the language test first, then submitt our application for citizenship, await to be told to get fingerprints and make photo after application and then wait for application to proceed which takes upto 6 months?

Andy5714
Posted 2021-01-02 4:03 PM (#125108 - in reply to #124988)
Regular

Chris, as far as I recall there was always a language requirement unless they had certain qualifications taught in English. My wife came in 2013 and had to prove basic English but since then the requirement is now B1 which is easy for a basic speaker(speaking and listening and a little reading and writing if I recall correctly)..anyway I digress..Brexit applies to EU citizens who up to now could live/work here without visas etc. Non EU citizens have always needed certain requirements and a visa of some sort as per your wife which is where you are now and Citizenship is the final step.
Russians are indeed allowed dual citizenship. They will use their Russian international passport to travel home and to travel elsewhere will use the British passport so in fact have same rights as you,and more, as you need a visa to go to Russia. We are one of few countries who cannot apply for an electronic visa to Russia! All down to politics of course..

Application for citizenship is far easier than applying for leave to remain every 2.5 years! Get the language test first then complete the Citizenship application on Gov.Uk. It is straightforward but get your documents together as they will want proof of residence here for last 3 years. Get any letters from Doctor,Dentist HMRC etc bank statements and she will need 2 referees one of which is a professional person( manager etc). . Go to google and look up referees for citizenship.
The process costs over �1000.00 just so you know.
Once you�ve submitted the application you will get an acknowledgement and told to arrange appointment with Sopra Steria who are contracted by the Govt to check your documents and scan them to the Home Office.

If you look at Gov.Uk /citizenship then it all falls into place and you are told what is needed. Apply using the route as the spouse of a British Citizen as there are different routes.
Be aware of the fact that your wife has to be able to prove that she was living here EXACTLY 3 years ago from the date you apply. i.e if you applied today she would have to prove that she was in this country on 2.1.18....strange I know. My wife used an employers letter for this bit..Also she cannot have spent more than 90 days out of the country in any year...it�s all on the Govt website.

My wife has recently been told she was successful and is now waiting for a letter to go to a ceremony within 6 months.

Due to COVID things may have changed a little. i.e you may have to wait for Sopra Steria to contact you following your application. Have a gander at their website which may have info.

Hope this has answered some queries for you..best of British (smiling emoji thing)
CDG
Posted 2021-01-02 10:05 PM (#125109 - in reply to #124988)
Expert

Thanks Andy, you've been a great help! My wife has worked for the same Company for 9 years so i'm guessing they can help with the letter showing she was working for them at the time.

I seem to recall there was an impending language test coming in and i think my wife came here a few months before it kicked in although i might be wrong. We had already got married in Russia and before my wife could come here, we did the spouse visa via real russia, they helped collate a mountain of documents. Afterwards it was Life in UK Test in Brighton followed by getting a Spouse visa in Birmingham!

Cheers again!

Edited by CDG 2021-01-02 10:08 PM
Andy5714
Posted 2021-01-03 9:09 AM (#125110 - in reply to #124988)
Regular

Glad I could help you Chris. It�s a long journey I know.
Last bit of advice is ..do not rush to fill in the citizenship application..double check everything, because once you�ve done it you cannot amend it. We realised after that we hadn�t filled in all the dates that she had been out of the country so added them on a sheet of paper at Sopra Steria who scanned it with all the documents.No probs.
Go to every page in her passport and get dates from the stamps and reason for travelling and date returned and country visited. Do this before starting the form to save the stress when completing it. The application can be saved anyway but I�m not too good on tech things😁
Andy5714
Posted 2021-01-03 9:16 AM (#125111 - in reply to #124988)
Regular

I can recommend a read through the website 1stcitizen.co.uk and a read of their info about applying for British Citizenship. There is also a list of types of people who can act as referees.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)