Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If you were born lucky, even your rooster will lay eggs - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

Staying at private apartment on tourist visa (paranoid? :))
Moderators: nickomsk, TonyH, Chris, DeaconStreet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Visas -> Visa registrationMessage format

Marcel
Posted 2013-08-11 1:44 AM (#58736)
Subject: Staying at private apartment on tourist visa (paranoid? :))

Hey everybody,

First post on this wonderful forum!

My question: I will be going to a girlfriend of mine in Chelyabinsk in September for 3 weeks.
I'm planning on getting a tourist visa but I will be staying at her apartment and not in a hotel.

Will I be able to register at the post office at her private apartment and not get into trouble when
stopped by militia asking for papers? Is it legal to stay at her private apartment on a tourist visa?
When they will look at my papers they will see I have a tourist visa but I'm staying with the girl
I'm with at that moment when possibly being stopped. Is that allowed?

I know it sounds a little paranoid but I just want to be sure about everything before going.

Thanks in advance!

Marcel
Mel
Posted 2013-08-11 8:19 AM (#58737 - in reply to #58736)
Subject: RE: Staying at private apartment on tourist visa (paranoid? :))

Expert

Marcel - 2013-08-11 6:44 AM Hey everybody, First post on this wonderful forum! My question: I will be going to a girlfriend of mine in Chelyabinsk in September for 3 weeks. I'm planning on getting a tourist visa but I will be staying at her apartment and not in a hotel. Will I be able to register at the post office at her private apartment and not get into trouble when stopped by militia asking for papers? Is it legal to stay at her private apartment on a tourist visa? When they will look at my papers they will see I have a tourist visa but I'm staying with the girl I'm with at that moment when possibly being stopped. Is that allowed? I know it sounds a little paranoid but I just want to be sure about everything before going. Thanks in advance! Marcel

Stop worrying, you will be ok registering at her appartment provided of course that she is also registered there...

Pop along to the local PO with the correct docs with her, and register....

HTH

Marcel
Posted 2013-08-11 9:41 AM (#58739 - in reply to #58736)
Subject: Re: Staying at private apartment on tourist visa (paranoid? :))

That's very good to hear! Thanks! I believe she is also registered there, will double check with her.

I got worried cause the people from a visa company here in Holland said I couldn't register at a private home and that I had to get a private visa.
Also they said that going on a tourist visa was at my own risk and they recommended being honest and once again, to get a private visa.
Marcel
Posted 2013-08-11 9:46 AM (#58740 - in reply to #58736)

One more question; if we are being asked by officials, what is the best thing to say? I can imagine it wouldn't be wise to say that I'm in Russia to visit her right?

Should I say that I rent her apartment or not?

At the border I will probably say, if asked where I will stay, that I will check for a hotel once I get to Chelyabinsk and will take a note with me with some addresses of hotels, and that I'm not sure to what cities I will go (Ekaterinburg, Ufa) so that I didn't boook any hotels in advance.
Malcolm
Posted 2013-08-11 10:20 AM (#58741 - in reply to #58736)

Expert

They won't ask you anything at the airport. You can register your visa at the Post Office as Mel said, just take your girlfriend and her internal passport. She can fill in the forms and pay, it's about 300rbl. That's all.
Stop worrying, the cold war is over.
Marcel
Posted 2013-08-11 10:36 AM (#58742 - in reply to #58736)

Haha I know, it's just that I want to be prepared for anything. It's good to see the topics and posts here from all you experienced people who have had no problems with these things. Puts my mind at ease!
Marcel
Posted 2013-08-11 11:52 AM (#58743 - in reply to #58736)

So just say I'm renting her apartment? Sorry to ask again Malcolm but I didn't see a direct answer in your post
Rasboinik
Posted 2013-08-11 2:10 PM (#58746 - in reply to #58743)

Expert

Further to the excellent advise given, there is no need for you to say anything and there is most definitely nothing for you to worry about.
Just go the Post Office with your GF and your GF will just register your presence in Russia (register your visa).

Documents required are (you must have at least one copy of each document but it is best to have two copies)

• Your passport data page
  • Your visa
  • Your migration card (Both sides, front and back)
  • Your G/F's internal passport data page
  • The page in your G/F's internal passport that shows her registrartion
  • The document that proves that she owns the flat that you will be staying in
Malcolm
Posted 2013-08-11 6:07 PM (#58747 - in reply to #58736)

Expert

Unless you speak Russian, keep quiet. Let your girlfriend do all the talking, she's the one regisitering you at her apartment so she will do any talking necessary. These old ladies in the post office don't like being messed about by foreigners, they get right grumpy I can tell you!
But seriously...there is no requirement for you to say anything, just do as I do when my wife registers me; look out the window at the passing traffic until you get told it's all done.
Marcel
Posted 2013-08-11 6:24 PM (#58748 - in reply to #58736)

Great news and info from you guys! Thanks a lot, it's good to know I have nothing to worry about!
Geejay
Posted 2013-12-27 1:39 PM (#60102 - in reply to #58748)
New User

I'm out in Novosibirsk and registered today using the local OVIR, we went there just to find out times when registration is accepted and to get a registration form, as it's not always all day everyday acceptance. It was an easy excercise, I came out on a tourist visa, used Realrussia for my visa! many thanks for that great service, also used them last year. Lots of written advice about for different cities. Novosibirsk is supposed to be difficult but in the last few years it really has got easier. Today's registration took about 40 minutes and the cost was zero. We went in to get times and ended up doing it there and then, with my passport plus my slip of paper given to me in Moscow by passport control, my partners national passport to prove where she lived, they took photocopies (actually black and almost unreadable copies of our papers) charged us a few roubles for those, better copies are available everywhere else for a similar charge but as we were there, we went to the queue at the (7th in line though number 47 on the list) next window deal with a miserable person who moaned her way through her job, she entered our details on the computer stamped our application form, signed it, job done. Certainly a different experience to my first there 10 years ago, it took 4-5 visits over 4-5 days dealing with the most ignorant miserable pathetic excuses for human beings I've ever met until meeting worse at the Moscow Greek embassy at a later date. The improve not over the years although still not perfect is astounding.

I expect in more out of the way places it may not have improved much in these ten years, I'd like to be proved wrong.

Good luck to all, regards Graham
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)