Menu

RealRussia Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rooster today, feather duster tomorrow - Russian Proverb
- (Added by: Chris)

My first trip to russia
Moderators: DeaconStreet, nickomsk, TonyH, Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Real Russia -> Accomodation, trains, planes and automobilesMessage format

JJb
Posted 2013-10-09 8:44 AM (#59346)
Subject: My first trip to russia
Regular

hi,

So in January i'm visiting a friend in pyatigorsk flying from heathrow to Terminal D, Moscow Sheremetyevo Apt (SVO), Moscow, Russia then switch to another flight to Mineralnye Vody Airport (MRV), Mineralnye Vody, Russia

on return I fly from Mineralnye Vody Airport (MRV), Mineralnye Vody, Russia to Moscow Domodedovo Apt (DME), Moscow, Russia then back to heathrow.

I will soon apply for my visa. As an english speaking person will I be able to navigate my way around these aiports easy enough? and do you have any other tips or things I need to be aware of please?

thanks!
JJb
Posted 2013-10-09 10:13 AM (#59348 - in reply to #59346)
Subject: Re: My first trip to russia
Regular

Also i'm staying for about a week, how many rubles should I take with me for starters, ie how much is reasonable to carry in my wallet. I don't want to end up ordering to much Its not reasonable to carry!
Mel
Posted 2013-10-09 11:16 AM (#59352 - in reply to #59348)

Expert

JJb - 2013-10-09 3:13 PM Also i'm staying for about a week, how many rubles should I take with me for starters, ie how much is reasonable to carry in my wallet. I don't want to end up ordering to much Its not reasonable to carry!

Don't worry, your trip will be ok.

Suggest that you only carry about 5,000r in cash with you just for anything that you may need on the way...

Also suggest that you get your money at Moscow airport through a sberbank atm, your UK cash or credit card may give you the best rates, same when you get to your destination...

These days, most places in russia take visa payments, inc bars and resturants...

I got 52.3r/£ last week at an atm ..

HTH..

Edited by Mel 2013-10-09 11:17 AM
DeaconStreet
Posted 2013-10-09 12:32 PM (#59358 - in reply to #59346)

Expert

There are several ATMs in Pyatigorsk and all of them are safe for taking rubles. the max that you'll be allowed to take out is between 7-8000 rubles per day. might be worth telling your bank that you are travelling and to expect card usage... couple of trips and it'll be marked as usual behaviour by them.

your friend is meeting you at Min Vody? she will have the 500 rubles to get you to town I imagine. You'll get jumped by taxi drivers when you arrive. don't pay more than this.

make sure that you ask RR (if you're using them) to get a support document for this region, else you'll run the very real risk of getting fined by the militsia. I've been challenged for this on 50% of my visits. Min Vody departure is a bit of a free for all, but fine.

good luck, say hi to Pyatigorsk from me.
JJb
Posted 2013-10-09 1:39 PM (#59363 - in reply to #59352)
Regular

Mel - 2013-10-09 11:16 AM

JJb - 2013-10-09 3:13 PM Also i'm staying for about a week, how many rubles should I take with me for starters, ie how much is reasonable to carry in my wallet. I don't want to end up ordering to much Its not reasonable to carry!

Don't worry, your trip will be ok.

Suggest that you only carry about 5,000r in cash with you just for anything that you may need on the way...

Also suggest that you get your money at Moscow airport through a sberbank atm, your UK cash or credit card may give you the best rates, same when you get to your destination...

These days, most places in russia take visa payments, inc bars and resturants...

I got 52.3r/£ last week at an atm ..

HTH..

excellent thank you
JJb
Posted 2013-10-09 1:41 PM (#59364 - in reply to #59358)
Regular

DeaconStreet - 2013-10-09 12:32 PM

There are several ATMs in Pyatigorsk and all of them are safe for taking rubles. the max that you'll be allowed to take out is between 7-8000 rubles per day. might be worth telling your bank that you are travelling and to expect card usage... couple of trips and it'll be marked as usual behaviour by them.

your friend is meeting you at Min Vody? she will have the 500 rubles to get you to town I imagine. You'll get jumped by taxi drivers when you arrive. don't pay more than this.

make sure that you ask RR (if you're using them) to get a support document for this region, else you'll run the very real risk of getting fined by the militsia. I've been challenged for this on 50% of my visits. Min Vody departure is a bit of a free for all, but fine.

good luck, say hi to Pyatigorsk from me.

she is meeting me at min vody to give me a lift.. thanks for the advice, appreciate it..
firecracker1
Posted 2013-10-23 11:29 AM (#59478 - in reply to #59346)
Subject: RE: My first trip to russia
New User

Hey, this is a bit random but can't seem to send an inbox message to you. I am trying to contact you about a documentary I am making about finding love internationally. We are looking for people who are looking for love online and internationally. We hope to create an interesting and emotional portrayal of couples finding love despite the cultural barriers or hurdles. Would you be able to drop me an inbox with your email address or email me at internationaldating at firecrackerfilms dot com

Sorry I realise it's not the best way to contact you but I couldn't find another way, it's not scam or anything of the sort, I'd just like to give you some more info about it and see if it's something you might be interested in being involved in?
adam wolves
Posted 2013-10-23 12:37 PM (#59479 - in reply to #59346)
Veteran

Maybe you could try this guy :-

http://www.realrussia.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7253&p...

firecracker1
Posted 2013-10-23 5:16 PM (#59483 - in reply to #59479)
New User

Thank you, would love to speak to lots of people about this, who are at varying different stages in their relationships.

Just to give everyone a bit more info - I work for a British documentary company where I am producing a film which addresses whether the international dating industry is still as popular, whether it's on the increase, which locations are the hotspots for potential ladies, and whether the power of new technologies such as social media have changed things.

The documentary in a nutshell is a one off, one hour film about the modern day search for love on an international scale. No longer are people limited to meeting someone from their home town or even their own country. There are so many ways and means of looking for the right person to share your life with, all you have to do is take that leap.

We are now looking for people to be involved in our film. It is a UK based film, so we're looking to film with British contributors. We are hoping to feature a British man who is going overseas to meet someone who he has met online for the first time. Skype and the internet generally have obviously been such an amazing advancement in helping people to connect in this way.

We are also trying to find a British guy whose partner has obtained a visa to come and visit him in the UK for the first time.

By capturing these special/ exciting/ nerve wracking/ make or break moments we hope to highlight some of the most important experiences of looking for love abroad.

It would be great to hear back from anyone who might be interested in speaking to me either about their own story or to offer any advice on where to speak to the right people/ knows of anyone who is going out to Russia/ Ukraine in the next few weeks/ months. My email address is internationaldating@firecrackerfilms.com

Cheers everyone, I hope you don't mind me posting on here!

TonyH
Posted 2013-10-24 7:19 AM (#59493 - in reply to #59346)

Expert

The ch4 programme that covered this subject a few years ago was as usual a complete piss take of those involved. One of the characters was a regular poster on here in the early days of the BB. Being 'involved' didn't do him much good. But boring and ordinary isn't interesting. But even boring and ordinary can be manipulated with a few minutes selective filming and commenting .... beware !!!
Valkyrie13
Posted 2019-03-15 1:10 PM (#118141 - in reply to #59346)
New User

I first visited Russia 3 years ago since my counterpart has a business in Moscow and he decided to take me there as his business partner. After we arrived in the morning, we moved into a hotel (that was awesome, I must confess). After that we had a briefing with our Russian colleagues who suggested to take us around the city. The dinner at MariVanna's was beyond my expectations since I have never tasted traditional Russian cuisine. Draniki and borsch were cool!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)